Re: [TalkAntietam] Anniversary week

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 5:13 PM
      In a message dated 4/27/05 2:50:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      richard@... writes:
      Do any of you guys know what (if anything) is happening on the anniversary
      this year?

      Richard Croker
      NPS website only has this:

      Date:September 16, 2005 - September 18, 2005
      Programs during Battle Anniversary Weekend will include special hikes and
      lectures. A full schedule of events will be released in August.

      Forlorn Hopes at Antietam
      Date: September 24, 2005 - September 25, 2005
      The hill the Visitor Center is built on was a key piece of terrain, which
      changed hands several times during the battle. The Liberty Rifles will
      demonstrate desperate small unit action by both Union and Confederate troops on or near
      the actual site. Demonstrations will be held at 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 4:00
      p.m. on Saturday and 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, with ongoing
      interpretation in the camp throughout the day.

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27 7:04 PM
        Thanks y'all. Looks like no big deal.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 7:10 PM
          Dear Richard,

          If I know the park from other years, they will line up something impressive
          a little closer to the anniversary date. They probably do not want to commit
          themselves at this point if any special programming should not be available.

          OTOH, I can vouch for the excellence of any programming presented by the
          Liberty Rifles. They are an outstanding reenacting/living history group.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28 6:06 AM
            I'm just looking for an excuse to get my Rebel behind back up there for
            another signing. The first one was so much fun (and I sold about 50 books)
            and such a dream-come-true, I want to do it again. TMMF is out in paperback
            now, so I do have that excuse. Also, since the book is done and I have no
            more research to do on it, I don't get back up there as much as I would
            like. It is a trek (and expense) from Atlanta! I'm envious of you guys who
            can just "bop over" for a day!

            Richard Croker
            www.rcroker.com

            > If I know the park from other years, they will line up something
            impressive
            > a little closer to the anniversary date. They probably do not want to
            commit
            > themselves at this point if any special programming should not be
            available.

            > OTOH, I can vouch for the excellence of any programming presented by the
            > Liberty Rifles. They are an outstanding reenacting/living history group.
            >
            > Very respectfully,
            > G E "Gerry" Mayers
            > Confederate Signal Corps,
            > Longstreet's Corps