Volunteers Restore Historic Otto Lane

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
      From Antietam NPS website:

      Working side by side with park staff, volunteers have restored much of the
      historic Otto farm lane on newly acquired property at Antietam National
      Battlefield. The twenty six G.E. Elfun volunteers are retired General Electric
      employees who donated over 700 hours during National Park Week. More than 1200 feet
      of the historic lane was cleared of vegetation and approximately 700 feet of
      Virginia worm rail fence was constructed.

      Article online at: http://www.nps.gov/anti/pphtml/newsdetail17394.html

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
        Yes, it is looking very good down there now. HAF cut out a huge number
        of trees back in April so that the 16th CT monument is very visible
        now, and he Otto Lane restoration is very nice. I'll likely be walking
        out there on Sunday.
        Tom C

        >>> rotbaron@... 4/26/2005 7:08:15 PM >>>

        From Antietam NPS website:

        Working side by side with park staff, volunteers have restored much of
        the
        historic Otto farm lane on newly acquired property at Antietam National

        Battlefield. The twenty six G.E. Elfun volunteers are retired General
        Electric
        employees who donated over 700 hours during National Park Week. More
        than 1200 feet
        of the historic lane was cleared of vegetation and approximately 700
        feet of
        Virginia worm rail fence was constructed.

        Article online at: http://www.nps.gov/anti/pphtml/newsdetail17394.html

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
          I plan to join the full-day ranger hike this Sunday, which includes stop at Otto Farm.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
            Great Tom, maybe we'll see you there. I like to walk my dog on the Otto
            farm because he can of the leash and chase ground hogs, squirrels etc.
            I'll keep an eye out for you. Not sure whattime I'll get there, but
            enjoy the tour, and hope for good weather.

            >>> rotbaron@... 4/27/2005 11:02:42 AM >>>

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
              Weather is supposed to be great on Sunday. I have first reenactment with my
              group at Neshaminy this weekend, and Saturday doesn't look so great right
              now.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
                Do any of you guys know what (if anything) is happening on the anniversary
                this year?

                Richard Croker
                www.rcroker.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
                  Dear Richard,

                  If you go to www.nps.gov/anti, and then look for a way to contact them by
                  email, ask in your email for Brian Barancz. Brian is very helpful and should
                  be able to tell you if anything is happening during the anniversary weekend.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
                    Does anybody know if there's going to be a significant Antietam reenactment
                    this year?

                    > email, ask in your email for Brian Barancz. Brian is very helpful and
                    should
                    > be able to tell you if anything is happening during the anniversary
                    weekend.

                    > Very respectfully,
                    > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                    > Confederate Signal Corps,
                    > Longstreet's Corps

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
                      Not that I have heard of Richard, no. The NPS will hold some sort of
                      commemerative event, and there is talk that the Sharpsburg Historical
                      Society will hold some sort of event. Nobody knows what at this point
                      in time.
                      Tom Clemens

                      >>> richard@... 4/27/2005 3:38:09 PM >>>

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
                        Dear Richard,

                        There are usually only significant reenactments for Sharpsburg every five
                        years on the five year anniversaries. Thus, the 135th, the 140th, etc.

                        Very respectfully,
                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                        Longstreet's Corps