Re: [TalkAntietam] Spring Hikes

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
      In a message dated 4/21/05 7:53:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      dunkerch@... writes:
      have never walked the Poffenberger farm and would be most interested in
      seeing the barn where Hooker spent the night of the 16th. Does anyone know if the
      itinerary for May 1st does include this farm?
      I pretty sure the May 1 tour will include the J. Poffenberger farm that
      stands at north edge of North Woods. That farm is now open and I had planned to
      visit it when I was there last month. But we ran late with other stuff and could
      not get to it.

      As your know, the ridge behind it served as artillery platform and also site
      for signal station. I believe Clara Barton used the barn? I did speak with Ted
      Alexander about that farm. He said the only running water they found was from
      a hose.

      I had consider going to Antietam for this Saturday's hike, but it appears
      thunderstorms are expected. Hence I likely will now plan for the May 1 full-day
      hike.

      For others, the NPS description of the Sunday May 1 hike is:

      This hike will cover the whole field in two parts and focus on the historic
      farmsteads on the Antietam Battlefield. Meet the Rangers behind the Visitor
      Center at 9:30 a.m. for the morning hike which will visit the Poffenberger,
      Miller and Mumma Farmsteads, as well as the Locher Cabin. We will have lunch at the
      historic Mumma Farm, so pack a brown bag lunch. The second part of the hike
      will meet at the Mumma Farm at 1:00 p.m. and hike to the Roulette, Sherrick,
      Otto, and Piper Farmsteads. The program will conclude at the Visitor Center at
      approximately 4:15 p.m. The morning hike is 3 miles and the afternoon 4.5
      miles. (Those who will be joining the second hike should park their vehicle at the
      Visitor Center and walk down to the Mumma Farm.)

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2005
        David --

        You're from Hollidaysburg, PA?

        I attended a wedding there many, many years ago and fell in love with it.
        Talk about Norman Rockwell. What a lovely town!

        If you run into a lovely lady named Barb Dusel, see if she remembers me.

        Richard Croker
        Atlanta, GA

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2005
          Richard,

          I agree with your impression of Hollidaysburg. I love this town! I personally don't know the lady in question but looking in the local phone directory, there is a listing........!

          Tom,
          I hope to see you there on the 1st.