Spring Hikes

  • david lutton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 4:51 PM
      I was looking over the Park Service schedule for battlefield hikes in April and May. The hike scheduled for May 1st says that it will include several farmsteads including the Poffenberger farm. I am assuming that its the Joseph Poffenberger farm. I have never walked the Poffenberger farm and would be most interested in seeing the barn where Hooker spent the night of the 16th. Does anyone know if the itinerary for May 1st does include this farm?

      Thanks in advance
      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 5:42 PM
        In a message dated 4/21/05 7:53:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dunkerch@... writes:
        have never walked the Poffenberger farm and would be most interested in
        seeing the barn where Hooker spent the night of the 16th. Does anyone know if the
        itinerary for May 1st does include this farm?
        I pretty sure the May 1 tour will include the J. Poffenberger farm that
        stands at north edge of North Woods. That farm is now open and I had planned to
        visit it when I was there last month. But we ran late with other stuff and could
        not get to it.

        As your know, the ridge behind it served as artillery platform and also site
        for signal station. I believe Clara Barton used the barn? I did speak with Ted
        Alexander about that farm. He said the only running water they found was from
        a hose.

        I had consider going to Antietam for this Saturday's hike, but it appears
        thunderstorms are expected. Hence I likely will now plan for the May 1 full-day
        hike.

        For others, the NPS description of the Sunday May 1 hike is:

        This hike will cover the whole field in two parts and focus on the historic
        farmsteads on the Antietam Battlefield. Meet the Rangers behind the Visitor
        Center at 9:30 a.m. for the morning hike which will visit the Poffenberger,
        Miller and Mumma Farmsteads, as well as the Locher Cabin. We will have lunch at the
        historic Mumma Farm, so pack a brown bag lunch. The second part of the hike
        will meet at the Mumma Farm at 1:00 p.m. and hike to the Roulette, Sherrick,
        Otto, and Piper Farmsteads. The program will conclude at the Visitor Center at
        approximately 4:15 p.m. The morning hike is 3 miles and the afternoon 4.5
        miles. (Those who will be joining the second hike should park their vehicle at the
        Visitor Center and walk down to the Mumma Farm.)

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22 5:48 AM
          David --

          You're from Hollidaysburg, PA?

          I attended a wedding there many, many years ago and fell in love with it.
          Talk about Norman Rockwell. What a lovely town!

          If you run into a lovely lady named Barb Dusel, see if she remembers me.

          Richard Croker
          Atlanta, GA

          > I was looking over the Park Service schedule for battlefield hikes in
          April and May. The hike scheduled for May 1st says that it will include
          several farmsteads including the Poffenberger farm. I am assuming that its
          the Joseph Poffenberger farm. I have never walked the Poffenberger farm
          and would be most interested in seeing the barn where Hooker spent the night
          of the 16th. Does anyone know if the itinerary for May 1st does include
          this farm?

          > Thanks in advance
          > David Lutton
          > Hollidaysburg Pa

        • david lutton
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22 3:35 PM
            Richard,

            I agree with your impression of Hollidaysburg. I love this town! I personally don't know the lady in question but looking in the local phone directory, there is a listing........!

            Tom,
            I hope to see you there on the 1st.