Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Suggestions for Antietam historian?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 13, 2005
      I would also suggest two NPS Rangers at Antietam who are truly dedicated to
      studying and explaining the Battle of Antietam, and preserving its hallowed
      fields: Keith Snyder and Brian Baracz.

    • Darin Boville
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
        My thanks to all the responses to my inquiry. Very helpful. I'll need
        to let things "simmer" for a bit before I decide what I want to do.

        Meanwhile, I have another question!

        In my original conception of the book I had thought to include a page
        of text facing every photo (about eighty pages, or perhaps fewer if
        each text page preceded more than one image). The text would in some
        way interact with the image and encourage greater contemplation of it.
        I dropped the idea when I thought it would be too much for me to handle
        (this was in the middle of shooting the negatives and I had time for
        little else).

        So now I'm thinking about it again.

        One thought was to put excerpts from diaries, newspaper accounts, etc,
        from that time. My first inclination would be diaries, augmented with
        other accounts if there was not a sufficient supply. Unpublished is
        better, but published is o.k. as long as the book adds something.
        Entries that touch upon the landscape in some way would be ideal. A
        back-up thought would be to have the entries written expressly for the
        book.

        So, my question is, does this material (that is, the diaries) exist? Is
        it accessible? Is there enough of it? I've seen scattered quotes in
        various books, but not enough to give mer a sense of how much good
        stuff might still be out there.

        My goal with this portion of the text is to provide a little context
        for the images. In showing the samples on my web page I've encountered
        a number of people--more used to the traditional dramatic landscape,
        perhaps--who,puzzled, responded with comments such as "it looks like a
        bunch of fields and hills." Quite a reasonable response really. So
        maybe I need to do more.

        The trick will be to maintain the focus on the photographs rather than
        letting the photographs devolve into mere illustrations of the text.

        --Darin

        www.darinboville.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
          Agreed, but include Alan Schmidt too.

          >>> rotbaron@... 4/13/2005 8:46:04 PM >>>

          I would also suggest two NPS Rangers at Antietam who are truly
          dedicated to
          studying and explaining the Battle of Antietam, and preserving its
          hallowed
          fields: Keith Snyder and Brian Baracz.

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
            How does one get to the spot where Gardner took a his photos of the
            Union signal station on 'Elk Mountain'? Is this land accessible? I want
            to run up there today to grab a photo since the weather is so dern
            perfect. Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
            Interactive Producer

            Another Software Miracle
            P.O. Box 705
            Sharpsburg, MD 21782
            240-217-3664
            800-417-9596
            815-327-3781 (fax)

            http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
            http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
            http://www.virtualantietam.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
              Dear Stephen,

              Tom Clemens would know how you can get there.

              The SHAF website might also have directions.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                Yes. It looks like he would be the person to talk to:

                SHAF Buys Antietam Signal Station Site
                http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/shaf.htm

                Unbelievable stuff those guys are getting done. From the article,
                though, it sounds like you can't just cruise up there just yet. Cheers
                to Dennis and Tom.

                Stephen Recker
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                  Stephen,

                  Since you live in Sharpsbug, it might be useful for you to join as well.
                  Membership dues are very reasonable.

                  Contact Tom C privately for more information.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                    Steve,
                    Yes, we sold the land up there after we bought it. Amazingly, we sold
                    it for more than we paid, and we put retrictive easements on it! I
                    don't think any preservation group has ever done that.
                    The owner now is Bonard Morgan, who lives on property adjoining on the
                    Chestnut Grove Rd. side. His phone is 301-432-4297 and he is in the
                    phone book. He is a bit mercurical, but if you drop my name and Dennis'
                    he might be inclined to take you up. It is worth a call at least. I
                    know you will be able to get along with him.
                    Good luck. If this doesn't work maybe we can arrange something this
                    weekend.

                    >>> recker@... 4/14/2005 10:29:10 AM >>>

                    Yes. It looks like he would be the person to talk to:

                    SHAF Buys Antietam Signal Station Site
                    http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/shaf.htm

                    Unbelievable stuff those guys are getting done. From the article,
                    though, it sounds like you can't just cruise up there just yet. Cheers

                    to Dennis and Tom.

                    Stephen Recker

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  • richard@rcroker.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                      Darin;

                      Do you own Antietam: The Photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day? It's by William A. Frassantio. It is mostly text, but it's all about the Gardner collection. I found it a very helpful research tool while writing my book.

                      Richard
                      > My thanks to all the responses to my inquiry. Very helpful. I'll need
                      > to let things "simmer" for a bit before I decide what I want to do.
                      >
                      > Meanwhile, I have another question!
                      >
                      > In my original conception of the book I had thought to include a page
                      > of text facing every photo (about eighty pages, or perhaps fewer if
                      > each text page preceded more than one image). The text would in some
                      > way interact with the image and encourage greater contemplation of it.
                      > I dropped the idea when I thought it would be too much for me to handle
                      > (this was in the middle of shooting the negatives and I had time for
                      > little else).
                      >
                      > So now I'm thinking about it again.
                      >
                      > One thought was to put excerpts from diaries, newspaper accounts, etc,
                      > from that time. My first inclination would be diaries, augmented with
                      > other accounts if there was not a sufficient supply. Unpublished is
                      > better, but published is o.k. as long as the book adds something.
                      > Entries that touch upon the landscape in some way would be ideal. A
                      > back-up thought would be to have the entries written expressly for the
                      > book.
                      >
                      > So, my question is, does this material (that is, the diaries) exist? Is
                      > it accessible? Is there enough of it? I've seen scattered quotes in
                      > various books, but not enough to give mer a sense of how much good
                      > stuff might still be out there.
                      >
                      > My goal with this portion of the text is to provide a little context
                      > for the images. In showing the samples on my web page I've encountered
                      > a number of people--more used to the traditional dramatic landscape,
                      > perhaps--who,puzzled, responded with comments such as "it looks like a
                      > bunch of fields and hills." Quite a reasonable response really. So
                      > maybe I need to do more.
                      >
                      > The trick will be to maintain the focus on the photographs rather than
                      > letting the photographs devolve into mere illustrations of the text.
                      >
                      > --Darin
                      >
                      > www.darinboville.com

                    • Brian Downey
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                        Hi Darin,

                        I think you're on the right track and I'd enciourage you in this
                        direction, FWIW.

                        There's lots of first-had source material out there. Quite a bit is
                        online (try Google). I've had people send me transcribed letters and
                        diaries for AotW (see http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=365 for
                        example). There have been numerous collections of first hand accounts
                        in print as well.

                        You could also put out appeals for material to the big Civil War lists
                        and geneology groups on the internet - probably lots of folks out
                        there who could help.

                        Best to you on your project, I really enjoy your photos. "Sunken
                        Road, looking east" is a cover shot, if ever I've seen one. No
                        question about where that was taken! A timeless image.

                        Brian

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                          Purely by coincidence, I got this today.....It has some links that might be helpful.

                          The Enduring Poignancy of Civil War Correspondence
                          By Linda Wheeler
                          Washington Post
                          April 14, 2005 Thursday

                          Holding a letter written by a soldier during the Civil War is a thrill for me. I recently purchased one written by a young Virginia soldier whose graceful penmanship filled the lined rag paper from edge to edge, top to bottom. Only the message detracted from its beauty. The man was writing about the death of his father at the hands of rebel soldiers.

                          I bought it at an auction because the Nov. 14, 1864, letter hinted at larger stories. Why would Confederate soldiers kill a Virginia man? Did his son witness the shooting death?

                          Although it may take me many months, I feel a deep obligation to find out what happened.

                          It is one of countless letters that were written during the war as the 2.6 million soldiers sent news home. They wrote from the field, winter camps, hospitals, prisoner-of-war sites, and while touring Washington and Richmond. They often wrote of the weather, the boredom of the constant drills and the terrible food.

                          Many of the letters they received also spoke of the weather. The health of children and the difficulties in getting along without men to work the farms were topics as well. As the war entered the third and fourth years, letters from women on both sides often spoke of financial hardships that left children hungry, fields unplanted and rents unpaid.

                          The wartime economy hurt families in the North and the South, and everyday necessities such as flour and sugar were in short supply. Even a family lucky enough to have a man at home struggled to pay bills.

                          But whatever direction the letters were headed, some are still painful to read.

                          "I would like to see you -- I want you to come and see to getting places to put the children -- I can't keep them -- I have no money -- I would like to see you once more," Susanah Hart of Harrisburg, Pa., told her soldier husband in a Feb. 23, 1865, letter, which is now at the National Archives.

                          Another woman pleads with her son to come home after his father, who had been ill for three months, dies. A letter from Cincinnati resident Rebbeca Barrett to her son William is also at the National Archives. "You say you will send money -- do so for God's sake for I am needy at this time -- the doctors are so dear that it takes all you can make to pay their bill -- I work when I am able, but that is so seldom. God only knows what I will do this winter."

                          Mike Musick, recently retired from the National Archives, where he was an acknowledged expert on Civil War records, said there are many Civil War letters written between families that historians have yet to read.

                          The pool is so large, he said, there is little reason to anticipate fraud when purchasing original letters -- as long as they are not purported to be the work of Abraham Lincoln or Robert E. Lee.

                          "Letters vary considerably in quality," Musick said. "You have to look at a lot of them before knowing what to buy. They still show up regularly at flea markets and Civil War shows."

                          At a show sponsored by the Northern Virginia Relic Hunters Association this month, original letters were priced between $40 and $1,000, depending on the content and author.

                          There are plenty of interesting wartime letters to read online for free. Virginia Tech University Libraries, at spec.lib.vt.edu/civwar, and the University of Virginia's American Civil War Collections at the Electronic Text Center, at etext.virginia.edu/civilwar, offer letters and diaries from Union and Confederate soldiers.

                          The Virginia Military Institute Archives, at www.vmi.edu/archives/Manuscripts/msguide2.html, has letters from VMI cadets who served in the war.

                          The University of Virginia also has the Valley of the Shadow site, at valley.vcdh.virginia.edu/usingvalley/valleyguide.html. This archive of primary sources documents the lives of people in Augusta County, Va., and Franklin County, Pa., and is an extraordinary source of information. Included are thousands of letters, diaries, maps and images that offer a comparison of life during the war in similar counties with different loyalties.

                          Alexander Street Press, at www.alexanderstreet.com/products/cwld.htm, has organized 100,000 pages of Civil War papers, primarily letters and diaries, into an accessible format. The private company's customers are libraries and other academic institutions.

                          As for the letter I bought, I still don't know the answers to its questions, but finding them promises to be an adventure.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                            There is a great book called "When Lincoln Died" that is simply a group
                            of great photographs related to his assassination, plus a running
                            narrative of first-hand, eye-witness quotes. It tells the whole story
                            through they eyes of those that were there.

                            To do a book like Frassanito would be great, but an immense amount of
                            work, research-wise. Certainly, putting together a coherent narrative
                            from contemporary sources would be a great task, but nothing like
                            putting together a photo-history of the battle - wow!

                            Stephen Recker

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005

                              Thanks. You are awesome. I'll give him a call tomorrow. If that doesn't
                              work, I'll take you up on your kind offer. It won't be this weekend,
                              though. I'm heading up to Gettysburg for the History Meets the Arts
                              weekend. I'll be at the Union Drummer Boy most of the time if anyone is
                              in the area and wants to stop and say hello. Thanks.

                              Stephen Recker

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                                Dear Stephen,

                                I will be in The Burg also over at the Wax Museum on Steinwehr Avenue with
                                the Civil War Heritage Foundation for HMTA this weekend. (In fact, my wife
                                and I leave tomorrow morning!)

                                If you can break away, come on down and just ask for John W.
                                Fairfax.........

                                Very respectfully,
                                G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                Confederate Signal Corps,
                                Longstreet's Corps

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 15, 2005
                                  There is a photo book coming out this summer, just got a look at it
                                  yesterday. It is more landscapes and individuals, but in B&W and very
                                  nice looking. Hope there is room in the market for another of course.

                                • Darin Boville
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 25, 2005
                                    I've been "out" with a cold and out-of-town visitors for the past
                                    week--but thanks to all for your help. I'll figure out what I am am
                                    doing very soon...

                                    --Darin

                                    www.darinboville.com

                                    On Friday, April 15, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                    > There is a photo book coming out this summer, just got a look at it
                                    > yesterday.� It is more landscapes and individuals, but in B&W and very
                                    > nice looking.� Hope there is room in the market for another of course.
                                    >

                                    > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                    <image.tiff>

                                    > �
                                    > �

                                    Darin Boville
                                    Photography and Video
                                    www.darinboville.com

                                  • Darin Boville
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 25, 2005
                                      Thanks, Tom, for the info.

                                      Does anyone know if the new book has samples on the web? Is it worth
                                      buying? I'm way out here on the West Coast nowadays and am not able to
                                      stop by to see it in person. Gary's book sounds interesting, too.

                                      Thanks,

                                      --Darin

                                      On Monday, April 25, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                      > Darin,
                                      > I got a look at the finished product of the book yesterday when I
                                      > stopped at the Visitor's Center.� It is pretty much like the proof,
                                      > just
                                      > pictures and small captions.� I did not see it, but evidently Gary
                                      > Adelman is coming out with a "then and now" picture book on Antietam
                                      > sometime this summer.�
                                      > Tom Clemens

                                      <image.tiff>

                                      > �