RE: [TalkAntietam] Suggestions for Antietam historian?

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
      Gotta go with Dr. Tom Clemens!

      Harry

      -----Original Message-----
      From: darinb20855 [mailto:darin@...]
      Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:47 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Suggestions for Antietam historian?

      Hello all,

      A while back I posted a few of my Antietam photographs. Now I'm preparing a
      detailed proposal for a publisher. I plan on including a
      forward/introduction to the
      book written by a historian or other expert on the battle.

      I have my short list of people I'd love to have as author--I thought it
      would be
      valuable to get your input--I'd love to see your suggestions.

      Who do you think would make a "perfect" author for my introduction?

      My requirements are as follows: 1) A detailed understanding of the battle
      and its
      larger importance in US history; 2) The ablity to write eloquently; 3) For
      lack of a
      better term, a "feeling" for the landscape of the battlefield.

      Fame a plus but not critical. The person need not be a traditional historian
      or
      expert (for example, a non-fiction writer with a special interest in
      Antietam might
      work).

      Your thoughts? (or e-mail directly if you prefer)

      --Darin

      www.darinboville.com

      _____

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
        If you want to be specific to Antietam and carry a most respected voice, I'd
        ask Ted Alexander. He's the chief historian at the park (in case you didn't
        know that already). There are few people in the world who know more.

        Richard Croker
        www.rcroker.com

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
          You should talk to our very own Tom Clemens.

          Stephen Recker

          On Saturday, April 9, 2005, at 04:47 PM, darinb20855 wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > A while back I posted a few of my Antietam photographs. Now I'm
          > preparing a
          > detailed proposal for a publisher. I plan on including a
          > forward/introduction to the
          > book written by a historian or other expert on the battle.
          >
          > I have my short list of people I'd love to have as author--I thought
          > it would be
          > valuable to get your input--I'd love to see your suggestions.
          >
          > Who do you think would make a "perfect" author for my introduction?
          >
          > My requirements are as follows: 1) A detailed understanding of the
          > battle and its
          > larger importance in US history; 2) The ablity to write eloquently; 3)
          > For lack of a
          > better term, a "feeling" for the landscape of the battlefield.
          >
          > Fame a plus but not critical. The person need not be a traditional
          > historian or
          > expert (for example, a non-fiction writer with a special interest in
          > Antietam might
          > work).
          >
          > Your thoughts? (or e-mail directly if you prefer)
          >
          > --Darin
          >
          > www.darinboville.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Anthony W Turner
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
            On Saturday, April 9, 2005, at 04:47 PM, darinb20855 wrote:

            > Who do you think would make a "perfect" author for my introduction?

            I echo the sentiments for Tom Clemens.

            You might also want to consult with Kathleen Ernst for inputs on the
            battle's local effects. She wrote: Too Afraid to Cry � Maryland
            Civilians in the Antietam Campaign (Stackpole Books, 1999).

            Tony Turner

          • James2044
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 13, 2005
              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
              wrote:
              > Gotta go with Dr. Tom Clemens!
              >

              > Harry

              Second!

              James2044
            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 13, 2005
                I would also suggest two NPS Rangers at Antietam who are truly dedicated to
                studying and explaining the Battle of Antietam, and preserving its hallowed
                fields: Keith Snyder and Brian Baracz.

              • Darin Boville
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                  My thanks to all the responses to my inquiry. Very helpful. I'll need
                  to let things "simmer" for a bit before I decide what I want to do.

                  Meanwhile, I have another question!

                  In my original conception of the book I had thought to include a page
                  of text facing every photo (about eighty pages, or perhaps fewer if
                  each text page preceded more than one image). The text would in some
                  way interact with the image and encourage greater contemplation of it.
                  I dropped the idea when I thought it would be too much for me to handle
                  (this was in the middle of shooting the negatives and I had time for
                  little else).

                  So now I'm thinking about it again.

                  One thought was to put excerpts from diaries, newspaper accounts, etc,
                  from that time. My first inclination would be diaries, augmented with
                  other accounts if there was not a sufficient supply. Unpublished is
                  better, but published is o.k. as long as the book adds something.
                  Entries that touch upon the landscape in some way would be ideal. A
                  back-up thought would be to have the entries written expressly for the
                  book.

                  So, my question is, does this material (that is, the diaries) exist? Is
                  it accessible? Is there enough of it? I've seen scattered quotes in
                  various books, but not enough to give mer a sense of how much good
                  stuff might still be out there.

                  My goal with this portion of the text is to provide a little context
                  for the images. In showing the samples on my web page I've encountered
                  a number of people--more used to the traditional dramatic landscape,
                  perhaps--who,puzzled, responded with comments such as "it looks like a
                  bunch of fields and hills." Quite a reasonable response really. So
                  maybe I need to do more.

                  The trick will be to maintain the focus on the photographs rather than
                  letting the photographs devolve into mere illustrations of the text.

                  --Darin

                  www.darinboville.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                    Agreed, but include Alan Schmidt too.

                    >>> rotbaron@... 4/13/2005 8:46:04 PM >>>

                    I would also suggest two NPS Rangers at Antietam who are truly
                    dedicated to
                    studying and explaining the Battle of Antietam, and preserving its
                    hallowed
                    fields: Keith Snyder and Brian Baracz.

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                      How does one get to the spot where Gardner took a his photos of the
                      Union signal station on 'Elk Mountain'? Is this land accessible? I want
                      to run up there today to grab a photo since the weather is so dern
                      perfect. Thanks.

                      Stephen Recker
                      Interactive Producer

                      Another Software Miracle
                      P.O. Box 705
                      Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                      240-217-3664
                      800-417-9596
                      815-327-3781 (fax)

                      http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                      http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                      http://www.virtualantietam.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                        Dear Stephen,

                        Tom Clemens would know how you can get there.

                        The SHAF website might also have directions.

                        Very respectfully,
                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                        Longstreet's Corps

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                          Yes. It looks like he would be the person to talk to:

                          SHAF Buys Antietam Signal Station Site
                          http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/shaf.htm

                          Unbelievable stuff those guys are getting done. From the article,
                          though, it sounds like you can't just cruise up there just yet. Cheers
                          to Dennis and Tom.

                          Stephen Recker
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                            Stephen,

                            Since you live in Sharpsbug, it might be useful for you to join as well.
                            Membership dues are very reasonable.

                            Contact Tom C privately for more information.

                            Very respectfully,
                            G E "Gerry" Mayers
                            Confederate Signal Corps,
                            Longstreet's Corps

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                              Steve,
                              Yes, we sold the land up there after we bought it. Amazingly, we sold
                              it for more than we paid, and we put retrictive easements on it! I
                              don't think any preservation group has ever done that.
                              The owner now is Bonard Morgan, who lives on property adjoining on the
                              Chestnut Grove Rd. side. His phone is 301-432-4297 and he is in the
                              phone book. He is a bit mercurical, but if you drop my name and Dennis'
                              he might be inclined to take you up. It is worth a call at least. I
                              know you will be able to get along with him.
                              Good luck. If this doesn't work maybe we can arrange something this
                              weekend.

                              >>> recker@... 4/14/2005 10:29:10 AM >>>

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                                Darin;

                                Do you own Antietam: The Photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day? It's by William A. Frassantio. It is mostly text, but it's all about the Gardner collection. I found it a very helpful research tool while writing my book.

                                Richard
                                > My thanks to all the responses to my inquiry. Very helpful. I'll need
                                > to let things "simmer" for a bit before I decide what I want to do.
                                >
                                > Meanwhile, I have another question!
                                >
                                > In my original conception of the book I had thought to include a page
                                > of text facing every photo (about eighty pages, or perhaps fewer if
                                > each text page preceded more than one image). The text would in some
                                > way interact with the image and encourage greater contemplation of it.
                                > I dropped the idea when I thought it would be too much for me to handle
                                > (this was in the middle of shooting the negatives and I had time for
                                > little else).
                                >
                                > So now I'm thinking about it again.
                                >
                                > One thought was to put excerpts from diaries, newspaper accounts, etc,
                                > from that time. My first inclination would be diaries, augmented with
                                > other accounts if there was not a sufficient supply. Unpublished is
                                > better, but published is o.k. as long as the book adds something.
                                > Entries that touch upon the landscape in some way would be ideal. A
                                > back-up thought would be to have the entries written expressly for the
                                > book.
                                >
                                > So, my question is, does this material (that is, the diaries) exist? Is
                                > it accessible? Is there enough of it? I've seen scattered quotes in
                                > various books, but not enough to give mer a sense of how much good
                                > stuff might still be out there.
                                >
                                > My goal with this portion of the text is to provide a little context
                                > for the images. In showing the samples on my web page I've encountered
                                > a number of people--more used to the traditional dramatic landscape,
                                > perhaps--who,puzzled, responded with comments such as "it looks like a
                                > bunch of fields and hills." Quite a reasonable response really. So
                                > maybe I need to do more.
                                >
                                > The trick will be to maintain the focus on the photographs rather than
                                > letting the photographs devolve into mere illustrations of the text.
                                >
                                > --Darin
                                >
                                > www.darinboville.com

                              • Brian Downey
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                                  Hi Darin,

                                  I think you're on the right track and I'd enciourage you in this
                                  direction, FWIW.

                                  There's lots of first-had source material out there. Quite a bit is
                                  online (try Google). I've had people send me transcribed letters and
                                  diaries for AotW (see http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=365 for
                                  example). There have been numerous collections of first hand accounts
                                  in print as well.

                                  You could also put out appeals for material to the big Civil War lists
                                  and geneology groups on the internet - probably lots of folks out
                                  there who could help.

                                  Best to you on your project, I really enjoy your photos. "Sunken
                                  Road, looking east" is a cover shot, if ever I've seen one. No
                                  question about where that was taken! A timeless image.

                                  Brian

                                • richard@rcroker.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                                    Purely by coincidence, I got this today.....It has some links that might be helpful.

                                    The Enduring Poignancy of Civil War Correspondence
                                    By Linda Wheeler
                                    Washington Post
                                    April 14, 2005 Thursday

                                    Holding a letter written by a soldier during the Civil War is a thrill for me. I recently purchased one written by a young Virginia soldier whose graceful penmanship filled the lined rag paper from edge to edge, top to bottom. Only the message detracted from its beauty. The man was writing about the death of his father at the hands of rebel soldiers.

                                    I bought it at an auction because the Nov. 14, 1864, letter hinted at larger stories. Why would Confederate soldiers kill a Virginia man? Did his son witness the shooting death?

                                    Although it may take me many months, I feel a deep obligation to find out what happened.

                                    It is one of countless letters that were written during the war as the 2.6 million soldiers sent news home. They wrote from the field, winter camps, hospitals, prisoner-of-war sites, and while touring Washington and Richmond. They often wrote of the weather, the boredom of the constant drills and the terrible food.

                                    Many of the letters they received also spoke of the weather. The health of children and the difficulties in getting along without men to work the farms were topics as well. As the war entered the third and fourth years, letters from women on both sides often spoke of financial hardships that left children hungry, fields unplanted and rents unpaid.

                                    The wartime economy hurt families in the North and the South, and everyday necessities such as flour and sugar were in short supply. Even a family lucky enough to have a man at home struggled to pay bills.

                                    But whatever direction the letters were headed, some are still painful to read.

                                    "I would like to see you -- I want you to come and see to getting places to put the children -- I can't keep them -- I have no money -- I would like to see you once more," Susanah Hart of Harrisburg, Pa., told her soldier husband in a Feb. 23, 1865, letter, which is now at the National Archives.

                                    Another woman pleads with her son to come home after his father, who had been ill for three months, dies. A letter from Cincinnati resident Rebbeca Barrett to her son William is also at the National Archives. "You say you will send money -- do so for God's sake for I am needy at this time -- the doctors are so dear that it takes all you can make to pay their bill -- I work when I am able, but that is so seldom. God only knows what I will do this winter."

                                    Mike Musick, recently retired from the National Archives, where he was an acknowledged expert on Civil War records, said there are many Civil War letters written between families that historians have yet to read.

                                    The pool is so large, he said, there is little reason to anticipate fraud when purchasing original letters -- as long as they are not purported to be the work of Abraham Lincoln or Robert E. Lee.

                                    "Letters vary considerably in quality," Musick said. "You have to look at a lot of them before knowing what to buy. They still show up regularly at flea markets and Civil War shows."

                                    At a show sponsored by the Northern Virginia Relic Hunters Association this month, original letters were priced between $40 and $1,000, depending on the content and author.

                                    There are plenty of interesting wartime letters to read online for free. Virginia Tech University Libraries, at spec.lib.vt.edu/civwar, and the University of Virginia's American Civil War Collections at the Electronic Text Center, at etext.virginia.edu/civilwar, offer letters and diaries from Union and Confederate soldiers.

                                    The Virginia Military Institute Archives, at www.vmi.edu/archives/Manuscripts/msguide2.html, has letters from VMI cadets who served in the war.

                                    The University of Virginia also has the Valley of the Shadow site, at valley.vcdh.virginia.edu/usingvalley/valleyguide.html. This archive of primary sources documents the lives of people in Augusta County, Va., and Franklin County, Pa., and is an extraordinary source of information. Included are thousands of letters, diaries, maps and images that offer a comparison of life during the war in similar counties with different loyalties.

                                    Alexander Street Press, at www.alexanderstreet.com/products/cwld.htm, has organized 100,000 pages of Civil War papers, primarily letters and diaries, into an accessible format. The private company's customers are libraries and other academic institutions.

                                    As for the letter I bought, I still don't know the answers to its questions, but finding them promises to be an adventure.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                                      There is a great book called "When Lincoln Died" that is simply a group
                                      of great photographs related to his assassination, plus a running
                                      narrative of first-hand, eye-witness quotes. It tells the whole story
                                      through they eyes of those that were there.

                                      To do a book like Frassanito would be great, but an immense amount of
                                      work, research-wise. Certainly, putting together a coherent narrative
                                      from contemporary sources would be a great task, but nothing like
                                      putting together a photo-history of the battle - wow!

                                      Stephen Recker

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005

                                        Thanks. You are awesome. I'll give him a call tomorrow. If that doesn't
                                        work, I'll take you up on your kind offer. It won't be this weekend,
                                        though. I'm heading up to Gettysburg for the History Meets the Arts
                                        weekend. I'll be at the Union Drummer Boy most of the time if anyone is
                                        in the area and wants to stop and say hello. Thanks.

                                        Stephen Recker

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 14, 2005
                                          Dear Stephen,

                                          I will be in The Burg also over at the Wax Museum on Steinwehr Avenue with
                                          the Civil War Heritage Foundation for HMTA this weekend. (In fact, my wife
                                          and I leave tomorrow morning!)

                                          If you can break away, come on down and just ask for John W.
                                          Fairfax.........

                                          Very respectfully,
                                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                                          Longstreet's Corps

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 15, 2005
                                            There is a photo book coming out this summer, just got a look at it
                                            yesterday. It is more landscapes and individuals, but in B&W and very
                                            nice looking. Hope there is room in the market for another of course.

                                          • Darin Boville
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 25, 2005
                                              I've been "out" with a cold and out-of-town visitors for the past
                                              week--but thanks to all for your help. I'll figure out what I am am
                                              doing very soon...

                                              --Darin

                                              www.darinboville.com

                                              On Friday, April 15, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                              > There is a photo book coming out this summer, just got a look at it
                                              > yesterday.� It is more landscapes and individuals, but in B&W and very
                                              > nice looking.� Hope there is room in the market for another of course.
                                              >

                                              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                              <image.tiff>

                                              > �
                                              > �

                                              Darin Boville
                                              Photography and Video
                                              www.darinboville.com

                                            • Darin Boville
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 25, 2005
                                                Thanks, Tom, for the info.

                                                Does anyone know if the new book has samples on the web? Is it worth
                                                buying? I'm way out here on the West Coast nowadays and am not able to
                                                stop by to see it in person. Gary's book sounds interesting, too.

                                                Thanks,

                                                --Darin

                                                On Monday, April 25, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                                > Darin,
                                                > I got a look at the finished product of the book yesterday when I
                                                > stopped at the Visitor's Center.� It is pretty much like the proof,
                                                > just
                                                > pictures and small captions.� I did not see it, but evidently Gary
                                                > Adelman is coming out with a "then and now" picture book on Antietam
                                                > sometime this summer.�
                                                > Tom Clemens

                                                <image.tiff>

                                                > �