Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown Fence

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 7:39 PM
      This is really interesting. Thanks.

      Stephen

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 8 4:01 AM
        I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
        probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
        called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

        Richard Croker
        www.rcroker.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
          Dear Richard,

          The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
          think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
          else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

            #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
            west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
            abutment.

            Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
            of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
            church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
            road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
            visible on both sides of the pole.

            The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
            Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
            side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
            crack or flaw in the plate is the wire* funny how that "flaw" seemed
            to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
            little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
            Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
            black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
            wire.

            When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
            Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
            Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
            to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
            location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
            Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@v...> wrote:
            > Tom,
            >
            > Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later
            > in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
            > at the time of the battle.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to: