Re: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane structures

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 1:22 PM
      Are you talking about these?

      http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

      Stephen

      On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
      > privately
      > email them.
      >
      > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
      > from that
      > viewpoint.
      >
      > Very respectfully,
      > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > Confederate Signal Corps,
      > Longstreet's Corps

    • dickeyr46
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 1:58 PM
        I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
        time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
        lines peaked my interest enough to join.

        Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
        Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
        comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

        Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
        wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
        You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
        side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
        house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
        copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
        little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
        glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
        is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
        emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
        eastern most pole.

        While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
        in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
        #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
        west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
        abutment.

        Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
        of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
        church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
        road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
        visible on both sides of the pole.

        The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
        Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
        side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
        crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
        to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
        little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
        Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
        black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
        wire.

        When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
        Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
        Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
        to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
        location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
        Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7 3:01 PM
          Yes, I think so!

          But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
          Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
          publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7 7:39 PM
            This is really interesting. Thanks.

            Stephen

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 8 4:01 AM
              I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
              probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
              called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

              Richard Croker
              www.rcroker.com

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
                Dear Richard,

                The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                Very respectfully,
                G E "Gerry" Mayers
                Confederate Signal Corps,
                Longstreet's Corps

                  #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                  west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                  abutment.

                  Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                  of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                  church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                  road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                  visible on both sides of the pole.

                  The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                  Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                  side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                  crack or flaw in the plate is the wire* funny how that "flaw" seemed
                  to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                  little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                  Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                  black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                  wire.

                  When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                  Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                  Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                  to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                  location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                  Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@v...> wrote:
                  > Tom,
                  >
                  > Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later
                  > in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
                  > at the time of the battle.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to: