Re: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane structures

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005

      I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
      email them.

      They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
      viewpoint.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
        Are you talking about these?

        http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

        Stephen

        On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

        > Tom,
        >
        > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
        > privately
        > email them.
        >
        > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
        > from that
        > viewpoint.
        >
        > Very respectfully,
        > G E "Gerry" Mayers
        > Confederate Signal Corps,
        > Longstreet's Corps

      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
          I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
          time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
          lines peaked my interest enough to join.

          Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
          Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
          comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

          Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
          wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
          You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
          side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
          house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
          copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
          little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
          glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
          is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
          emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
          eastern most pole.

          While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
          in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
          #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
          west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
          abutment.

          Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
          of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
          church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
          road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
          visible on both sides of the pole.

          The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
          Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
          side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
          crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
          to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
          little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
          Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
          black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
          wire.

          When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
          Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
          Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
          to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
          location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
          Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
            Yes, I think so!

            But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
            Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
            publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

            Very respectfully,
            G E "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
              This is really interesting. Thanks.

              Stephen

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 8, 2005
                I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                Richard Croker
                www.rcroker.com

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 8, 2005
                  Dear Richard,

                  The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                  think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                  else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                    #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                    west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                    abutment.

                    Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                    of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                    church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                    road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                    visible on both sides of the pole.

                    The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                    Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                    side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                    crack or flaw in the plate is the wire* funny how that "flaw" seemed
                    to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                    little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                    Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                    black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                    wire.

                    When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                    Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                    Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                    to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                    location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                    Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@v...> wrote:
                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later
                    > in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
                    > at the time of the battle.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    To visit your group on the web, go to: