Re: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane structures

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 12:18 PM
      If you can email me the postcards, I'd love to see them.

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 12:21 PM

        I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
        email them.

        They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
        viewpoint.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7 1:22 PM
          Are you talking about these?

          http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

          Stephen

          On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
          > privately
          > email them.
          >
          > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
          > from that
          > viewpoint.
          >
          > Very respectfully,
          > G E "Gerry" Mayers
          > Confederate Signal Corps,
          > Longstreet's Corps

        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7 1:58 PM
            I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
            time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
            lines peaked my interest enough to join.

            Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
            Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
            comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

            Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
            wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
            You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
            side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
            house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
            copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
            little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
            glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
            is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
            emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
            eastern most pole.

            While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
            in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
            #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
            west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
            abutment.

            Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
            of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
            church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
            road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
            visible on both sides of the pole.

            The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
            Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
            side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
            crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
            to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
            little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
            Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
            black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
            wire.

            When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
            Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
            Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
            to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
            location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
            Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7 3:01 PM
              Yes, I think so!

              But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
              Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
              publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 7 7:39 PM
                This is really interesting. Thanks.

                Stephen

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 8 4:01 AM
                  I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                  probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                  called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                  Richard Croker
                  www.rcroker.com

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
                    Dear Richard,

                    The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                    think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                    else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                    Very respectfully,
                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                    Longstreet's Corps

                      #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                      west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                      abutment.

                      Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                      of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                      church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                      road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                      visible on both sides of the pole.

                      The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                      Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                      side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                      crack or flaw in the plate is the wire* funny how that "flaw" seemed
                      to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                      little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                      Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                      black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                      wire.

                      When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                      Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                      Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                      to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                      location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                      Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@v...> wrote:
                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later
                      > in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
                      > at the time of the battle.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      To visit your group on the web, go to: