Re: [TalkAntietam] Hagerstown Fence

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
      Tom

      Maybe The DOG, CWPT and other organizations might be willing to help.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
        If you can email me the postcards, I'd love to see them.

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005

          I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
          email them.

          They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
          viewpoint.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
            Are you talking about these?

            http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

            Stephen

            On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
            > privately
            > email them.
            >
            > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
            > from that
            > viewpoint.
            >
            > Very respectfully,
            > G E "Gerry" Mayers
            > Confederate Signal Corps,
            > Longstreet's Corps

          • dickeyr46
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
              I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
              time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
              lines peaked my interest enough to join.

              Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
              Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
              comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

              Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
              wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
              You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
              side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
              house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
              copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
              little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
              glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
              is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
              emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
              eastern most pole.

              While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
              in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
              #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
              west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
              abutment.

              Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
              of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
              church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
              road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
              visible on both sides of the pole.

              The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
              Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
              side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
              crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
              to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
              little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
              Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
              black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
              wire.

              When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
              Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
              Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
              to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
              location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
              Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                Yes, I think so!

                But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
                Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
                publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

                Very respectfully,
                G E "Gerry" Mayers
                Confederate Signal Corps,
                Longstreet's Corps

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                  This is really interesting. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 8, 2005
                    I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                    probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                    called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                    Richard Croker
                    www.rcroker.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 8, 2005
                      Dear Richard,

                      The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                      think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                      else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                      Very respectfully,
                      G E "Gerry" Mayers
                      Confederate Signal Corps,
                      Longstreet's Corps

                        #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                        west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                        abutment.

                        Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                        of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                        church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                        road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                        visible on both sides of the pole.

                        The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                        Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                        side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                        crack or flaw in the plate is the wire* funny how that "flaw" seemed
                        to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                        little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                        Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                        black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                        wire.

                        When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                        Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                        Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                        to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                        location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                        Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@v...> wrote:
                        > Tom,
                        >
                        > Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later
                        > in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
                        > at the time of the battle.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                        To visit your group on the web, go to: