Re: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane structures

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
      I don't know of photos, but remember the building. It sat amonst the
      trees in front ofthe 130th PA monument. It was log cabin, and they had
      a big stink about whether it was original or not to the battle. (Some
      folks in Sharpsburg started a rumor it was there at the time.) It came
      down in the late 70's I think. There was another house adjacent to the
      Dunker Church that shared the same fate.
      Tom C

      >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:07:39 AM >>>

      I recently bought a postcard with a view of Bloody Lane when there was

      a superintendent's house and a store on it. This was a surprise to me.

      I had read the stories in the park history book about the drunk,
      gun-wielding super that lived there, but hadn't seen a photo of his
      house. And I was certaily unaware of a store on the lane.

      Does anyone know of any close-up photos of those buildings or know when

      they were taken down? In the background of the postcard I can see what

      I believe is the VC being built. Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
        Tom

        Maybe The DOG, CWPT and other organizations might be willing to help.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
          If you can email me the postcards, I'd love to see them.

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005

            I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
            email them.

            They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
            viewpoint.

            Very respectfully,
            G E "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
              Are you talking about these?

              http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

              Stephen

              On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
              > privately
              > email them.
              >
              > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
              > from that
              > viewpoint.
              >
              > Very respectfully,
              > G E "Gerry" Mayers
              > Confederate Signal Corps,
              > Longstreet's Corps

            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
                time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
                lines peaked my interest enough to join.

                Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
                Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
                comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

                Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
                wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
                You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
                side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
                house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
                copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
                little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
                glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
                is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
                emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
                eastern most pole.

                While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
                in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
                #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                abutment.

                Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                visible on both sides of the pole.

                The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
                to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                wire.

                When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Yes, I think so!

                  But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
                  Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
                  publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                    This is really interesting. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                  • richard@rcroker.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 8, 2005
                      I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                      probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                      called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                      Richard Croker
                      www.rcroker.com

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 8, 2005
                        Dear Richard,

                        The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                        think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                        else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                        Very respectfully,
                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                        Longstreet's Corps

                          #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the