Re: [TalkAntietam] Hagerstown Fence

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 9:27 AM
      That makes sense, no poles or wires in any Garner photos. We were on
      the verge of a fund-raising project to do that when Allegany Power went
      into financial turmoil and pulled out of the project. John Howard has
      some funds allocated in a few years, and I would LOVE to start a
      public/private match to fund their removal. It is pricey, about 1K per
      foot! But worth every penny.
      Would be very cool.
      Tom Clemens

      >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:03:33 AM >>>

      Tom,

      Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later

      in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
      at the time of the battle.

      I agree it would be money well spent removing those phone lines. I have

      spent many hours airbrushing them out of photos.

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 9:30 AM
        I don't know of photos, but remember the building. It sat amonst the
        trees in front ofthe 130th PA monument. It was log cabin, and they had
        a big stink about whether it was original or not to the battle. (Some
        folks in Sharpsburg started a rumor it was there at the time.) It came
        down in the late 70's I think. There was another house adjacent to the
        Dunker Church that shared the same fate.
        Tom C

        >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:07:39 AM >>>

        I recently bought a postcard with a view of Bloody Lane when there was

        a superintendent's house and a store on it. This was a surprise to me.

        I had read the stories in the park history book about the drunk,
        gun-wielding super that lived there, but hadn't seen a photo of his
        house. And I was certaily unaware of a store on the lane.

        Does anyone know of any close-up photos of those buildings or know when

        they were taken down? In the background of the postcard I can see what

        I believe is the VC being built. Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7 9:37 AM
          Tom

          Maybe The DOG, CWPT and other organizations might be willing to help.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7 12:18 PM
            If you can email me the postcards, I'd love to see them.

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7 12:21 PM

              I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
              email them.

              They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
              viewpoint.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 7 1:22 PM
                Are you talking about these?

                http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

                Stephen

                On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > Tom,
                >
                > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
                > privately
                > email them.
                >
                > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
                > from that
                > viewpoint.
                >
                > Very respectfully,
                > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                > Confederate Signal Corps,
                > Longstreet's Corps

              • dickeyr46
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 7 1:58 PM
                  I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
                  time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
                  lines peaked my interest enough to join.

                  Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
                  Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
                  comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

                  Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
                  wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
                  You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
                  side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
                  house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
                  copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
                  little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
                  glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
                  is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
                  emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
                  eastern most pole.

                  While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
                  in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
                  #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                  west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                  abutment.

                  Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                  of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                  church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                  road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                  visible on both sides of the pole.

                  The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                  Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                  side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                  crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
                  to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                  little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                  Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                  black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                  wire.

                  When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                  Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                  Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                  to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                  location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                  Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 7 3:01 PM
                    Yes, I think so!

                    But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
                    Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
                    publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

                    Very respectfully,
                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                    Longstreet's Corps

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 7 7:39 PM
                      This is really interesting. Thanks.

                      Stephen

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 8 4:01 AM
                        I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                        probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                        called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                        Richard Croker
                        www.rcroker.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
                          Dear Richard,

                          The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                          think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                          else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                          Very respectfully,
                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                            #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the