Re: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane structures

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 7:44 AM

      Many thanks.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 7:49 AM
        Stephen,

        Did you get the postcards? If not, email me privately and I will send what I
        have.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7 9:27 AM
          That makes sense, no poles or wires in any Garner photos. We were on
          the verge of a fund-raising project to do that when Allegany Power went
          into financial turmoil and pulled out of the project. John Howard has
          some funds allocated in a few years, and I would LOVE to start a
          public/private match to fund their removal. It is pricey, about 1K per
          foot! But worth every penny.
          Would be very cool.
          Tom Clemens

          >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:03:33 AM >>>

          Tom,

          Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later

          in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
          at the time of the battle.

          I agree it would be money well spent removing those phone lines. I have

          spent many hours airbrushing them out of photos.

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7 9:30 AM
            I don't know of photos, but remember the building. It sat amonst the
            trees in front ofthe 130th PA monument. It was log cabin, and they had
            a big stink about whether it was original or not to the battle. (Some
            folks in Sharpsburg started a rumor it was there at the time.) It came
            down in the late 70's I think. There was another house adjacent to the
            Dunker Church that shared the same fate.
            Tom C

            >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:07:39 AM >>>

            I recently bought a postcard with a view of Bloody Lane when there was

            a superintendent's house and a store on it. This was a surprise to me.

            I had read the stories in the park history book about the drunk,
            gun-wielding super that lived there, but hadn't seen a photo of his
            house. And I was certaily unaware of a store on the lane.

            Does anyone know of any close-up photos of those buildings or know when

            they were taken down? In the background of the postcard I can see what

            I believe is the VC being built. Thanks.

            Stephen Recker

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7 9:37 AM
              Tom

              Maybe The DOG, CWPT and other organizations might be willing to help.

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 7 12:18 PM
                If you can email me the postcards, I'd love to see them.

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 7 12:21 PM

                  I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
                  email them.

                  They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
                  viewpoint.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 7 1:22 PM
                    Are you talking about these?

                    http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

                    Stephen

                    On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
                    > privately
                    > email them.
                    >
                    > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
                    > from that
                    > viewpoint.
                    >
                    > Very respectfully,
                    > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                    > Confederate Signal Corps,
                    > Longstreet's Corps

                  • dickeyr46
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 7 1:58 PM
                      I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
                      time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
                      lines peaked my interest enough to join.

                      Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
                      Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
                      comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

                      Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
                      wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
                      You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
                      side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
                      house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
                      copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
                      little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
                      glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
                      is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
                      emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
                      eastern most pole.

                      While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
                      in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
                      #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                      west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                      abutment.

                      Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                      of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                      church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                      road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                      visible on both sides of the pole.

                      The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                      Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                      side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                      crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
                      to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                      little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                      Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                      black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                      wire.

                      When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                      Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                      Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                      to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                      location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                      Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 7 3:01 PM
                        Yes, I think so!

                        But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
                        Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
                        publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

                        Very respectfully,
                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                        Longstreet's Corps

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 7 7:39 PM
                          This is really interesting. Thanks.

                          Stephen

                        • richard@rcroker.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 8 4:01 AM
                            I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                            probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                            called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                            Richard Croker
                            www.rcroker.com

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
                              Dear Richard,

                              The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                              think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                              else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                              Very respectfully,
                              G E "Gerry" Mayers
                              Confederate Signal Corps,
                              Longstreet's Corps

                                #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the