Re: [TalkAntietam] Carman-Cope

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
      Brian Downey wrote:

      > Hi group,
      >
      > I have been wondering for years, but never asked, is there a
      > published source for the Antietam Battlefield Board Papers and/or
      > maps? I gather from the grapevine that they may reside in the secret
      > back-room at the Battlefield Visitor's Center, but I'm ashamed to
      > admit I've never actually asked to see.

      As far as I know, there is only the 1904 edition of the Atlas,
      of which I am lucky enough to have a copy. It is quite spectacular
      (elephant folio) and in color.

      I am currently in the process of geo-referencing the troop placements,
      a task which will take quite some time to complete. Geo referencing
      is assigning earth coordinates to features on maps, aerial photographs,
      or satellite images.

      Here is a sample from plate 1 "Daybreak":

      http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/atlasClose.jpg

      Regards,
      TR Livesey
      westwood@...
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2001
        TR,
        I am probably telling you things you already know, but I hope you have the
        revised 1908 version of the 1904 atlas. Carman made significant changes in
        1908 and reissued the maps. As Kevin mentioned earlier, I have finished a
        complete transcription of his 1,800 page manuscript and am working on
        editing, notating and publishing it.