Re: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane structures

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 7:18 AM
      Dear Stephen,

      I believe at one point there was a little snack stand somewhere near the
      Bloody Lane. Also, one post War photo shows a two story building abutting
      the fence on the Piper Farm property.

      I will send you what postcards I have here on file so you can review.

      Also, next time you are at Antietam NBP VC bookstore, pick up a copy of The
      Battlefield of Antietam, containing many vintage (turn of 20th century)
      photographs.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 7:44 AM

        Many thanks.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7 7:49 AM
          Stephen,

          Did you get the postcards? If not, email me privately and I will send what I
          have.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7 9:27 AM
            That makes sense, no poles or wires in any Garner photos. We were on
            the verge of a fund-raising project to do that when Allegany Power went
            into financial turmoil and pulled out of the project. John Howard has
            some funds allocated in a few years, and I would LOVE to start a
            public/private match to fund their removal. It is pricey, about 1K per
            foot! But worth every penny.
            Would be very cool.
            Tom Clemens

            >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:03:33 AM >>>

            Tom,

            Actually, I was no doubt thinking of the photos I have seen from later

            in that century. I know of no accounts of telegraph lines being there
            at the time of the battle.

            I agree it would be money well spent removing those phone lines. I have

            spent many hours airbrushing them out of photos.

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7 9:30 AM
              I don't know of photos, but remember the building. It sat amonst the
              trees in front ofthe 130th PA monument. It was log cabin, and they had
              a big stink about whether it was original or not to the battle. (Some
              folks in Sharpsburg started a rumor it was there at the time.) It came
              down in the late 70's I think. There was another house adjacent to the
              Dunker Church that shared the same fate.
              Tom C

              >>> recker@... 4/7/2005 10:07:39 AM >>>

              I recently bought a postcard with a view of Bloody Lane when there was

              a superintendent's house and a store on it. This was a surprise to me.

              I had read the stories in the park history book about the drunk,
              gun-wielding super that lived there, but hadn't seen a photo of his
              house. And I was certaily unaware of a store on the lane.

              Does anyone know of any close-up photos of those buildings or know when

              they were taken down? In the background of the postcard I can see what

              I believe is the VC being built. Thanks.

              Stephen Recker

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 7 9:37 AM
                Tom

                Maybe The DOG, CWPT and other organizations might be willing to help.

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 7 12:18 PM
                  If you can email me the postcards, I'd love to see them.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 7 12:21 PM

                    I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably privately
                    email them.

                    They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting from that
                    viewpoint.

                    Very respectfully,
                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                    Longstreet's Corps

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 7 1:22 PM
                      Are you talking about these?

                      http://www.nps.gov/anti/postcards/Postcards.htm

                      Stephen

                      On Thursday, April 7, 2005, at 03:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > I think I might have found them on the NPS site. I will probably
                      > privately
                      > email them.
                      >
                      > They are turn of the century stuff though, so they are interesting
                      > from that
                      > viewpoint.
                      >
                      > Very respectfully,
                      > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                      > Confederate Signal Corps,
                      > Longstreet's Corps

                    • dickeyr46
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 7 1:58 PM
                        I'm new to the group, but have been watching and reading for some
                        time. Please excuse my lengthy post, but your comment about telegraph
                        lines peaked my interest enough to join.

                        Several of Gardner's photos show telegraph poles, but none along
                        Hagerstown Pike, which I believe was the focal point of the original
                        comment. The wire is even visible in a few of the photos.

                        Several photos taken at the Middle Bridge show 3 telegraph poles. The
                        wire is visible in at least two. Catalog #583 is probably the best...
                        You can clearly see a pole at both banks of the creek at the south
                        side bridge wings. A third pole is visible in front of the Newcomer
                        house, this one on the north side of the road. I used high resolution
                        copies of the photo from the Library of Congress website. With a
                        little magnification, you can see the insulators on the poles and the
                        glint of sunlight from the wire that traces it from pole to pole. #610
                        is almost as good. Again you can see the three poles and the wire
                        emerging from behind the house roof in the right foreground to the
                        eastern most pole.

                        While Gardner's #582 focuses on the Newcomer mill, the house appears
                        in the left background with the pole clearly visible to its front.
                        #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the
                        west bank (# 572, 578, etc.) show the pole on the east bank above the
                        abutment.

                        Two of Gardner's photos taken in town show poles and wire. The photo
                        of the Lutheran Church, #596, shows the pole about midway between the
                        church and the first house to the right. It is on the bank of the
                        road, next to the picket fence. With some magnification, the wire is
                        visible on both sides of the pole.

                        The pole is not as easily picked out in #595 looking west down Main
                        Street, but it is there on the south side of the street. The right
                        side of this stereo is sharper. What had always seemed a hairline
                        crack or flaw in the plate is the wire… funny how that "flaw" seemed
                        to be on both halves of the stereo. Gardner must have been just a
                        little left of dead center under the wire when he took this one.
                        Looking just a little left of center at the top of the photo, a thin
                        black line moves down and to the left and ends at the pole. That's our
                        wire.

                        When was the telegraph put in? I don't know. Since all of the Middle
                        Bridge photos were made on Sept 22 and the 2 town photos were made on
                        Sept 21 or 22, McClellan had already moved his HQ from the Pry house
                        to west of town. Perhaps the telegraph was put in to support the new
                        location. Or, perhaps the telegraph had run from
                        Boonsboro-Keedysville-Sharpsburg all along.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 7 3:01 PM
                          Yes, I think so!

                          But also, there is a booklet you should still be able to purchase at
                          Antietam NBP VC bookstore, which O C Reilly might originally been the
                          publisher of. Very interesting pictures.

                          Very respectfully,
                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 7 7:39 PM
                            This is really interesting. Thanks.

                            Stephen

                          • richard@rcroker.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 8 4:01 AM
                              I LOVE the Bloody Lane photo! No tower, no monuments, no access road. It
                              probably looks just like it did on September 15, 1862, back when it was
                              called (I am told) "Hog Trough Road."

                              Richard Croker
                              www.rcroker.com

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
                                Dear Richard,

                                The tower was put at its present site back in 1898, IIRC, by the War Dept. I
                                think the view of the Bloody Lane did not go all the way up to the Tower or
                                else the photo for the postcard was taken from the Tower.

                                Very respectfully,
                                G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                Confederate Signal Corps,
                                Longstreet's Corps

                                  #607 also shows the poles. The series of four Gardner took from the