Proving or dispelling a Middletown myth

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2005
      Can anyone help me on this one....?

      I have heard that McClellan climbed to the belfry in the Reformed
      Church on Church Street in Middletown to observe the assault on Fox's
      and Turner's Gaps on 9/14/62.

      I have not been able to find any documentation on this. We know he
      went through town (as did most of the rest of the Army), but I cannot
      find anything other than local legend on this.

      Is this just another Middletown Valley myth?

      Help please.
      Regards to all.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2005
        Dear Sir,

        Tom Clemens might possibly know the answer to that one.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2005
          Steve,
          As you know, proving a negative, (ie. that somebody didn't do something)
          is very difficult. Neither McClellan's _Own Story_ nor his papers, nor
          Carman's manuscript mention him stopping in Middletown or climbing a
          steeple. As you know, he made his HQ at Meramede (sp) and was with
          burnside there watching the battle. There are a number of good views
          from the town of the gaps, in my mind obviating the necessity to climb a
          steeple, but nothing that says he didn't. It sounds like a local story,
          maybe Valley News Echo c.1962?
          As someone who also lives in an old house that has been vinyl-sided,etc.
          I sympathize with you. Didn't realize you could see the gaps from your
          porch though, cool.
          Tom Clemens

          >>> jeffcowvplanning@... 03/25/05 8:46 PM >>>
        • Stephen Bockmiller
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2005
            Tom...

            Thanks for the update. You are pretty much confirming
            my gut...that I stumbled upon another Middletown myth.

            By the way, can you send me a SHAF membership
            application. Address is 210 W. Main, 21769.

            Thanks.
            Hope all is well.
            Steve

            http://mail.yahoo.com