Ranger Battlefield Hikes

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25 5:01 AM
      We saw the new fencing along Hagerstown Pike, but I forgot to take photos. Sorry!

      Meanwhile, please see the NPS Antietam schedule for info on upcoming hikes:
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/pphtml/events.html

      Tours include:
      March 26, 2005 Battlefield Hike-Attack on Lee's Right
      March 27, 2005 Battlefield Hike-Rodman's Route
      April 02, 2005 Battlefield Hike- The Cornfield
      April 02, 2005 Volunteers Needed at Antietam National Battlefield
      April 03, 2005 Battlefield Hike-Nicodemus Heights
      April 09, 2005 Battlefield Hike- Banners of Glory
      April 10, 2005 Battlefield Hike-The Middle of the Battlefield
      April 16, 2005 Battlefield Hike-Preservation at Antietam Battlefield
      April 17, 2005 Battlefield Hike-The West Woods
      April 23, 2005 Battlefield Hike-Attack on Lee's Right
      April 24, 2005 Battlefield Hike- The Cornfield
      May 01, 2005 Battlefield Hike-Full Battlefield Hike

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25 5:56 AM
        Ain't it grand that we can now make this hike? I'm sure you were all like
        me and hugely disappointed back in the days when we could only imagine the
        Irish Brigade's route. Eternal gratitude to the folks who came up with the
        bucks to acquire that sacred ground.

        Richard Croker

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25 6:05 AM
          Richard,

          IIRC, the Nature Conservancy came up with the $$$ to purchase the Roulette
          Farm in 1998 I believe and the next year the Antietam NBP had the property.

          Yes, the visual impact of the Union approach is "not" to be missed! First
          time I did that, after having to stand for so long on the Confederate side,
          I was literally blown away (no pun intended) by how close the two sides
          were..... literally point blank range.........

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25 6:48 AM
            Gerry;

            And it is THAT that inspires me most. I am obviously more intrigued by the
            actions of individual soldiers than the precise movements of specific
            regiments, &tc &tc &tc. The fact that those men would stand upright, and
            march, shoulder-o-shoulder, flags unfurled, into the jaws of the beast never
            ceases to astound me.

            Richard Croker
            www.rcroker.com

            > IIRC, the Nature Conservancy came up with the $$$ to purchase the Roulette
            > Farm in 1998 I believe and the next year the Antietam NBP had the
            property.

            > Yes, the visual impact of the Union approach is "not" to be missed! First
            > time I did that, after having to stand for so long on the Confederate
            side,
            > I was literally blown away (no pun intended) by how close the two sides
            > were..... literally point blank range.........
            >
            > Very respectfully,
            > G E "Gerry" Mayers
            > Confederate Signal Corps,
            > Longstreet's Corps

            Service.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25 6:50 AM
              Richard,

              You have said it exactly. BTW, James McPherson,who wrote the book For Cause
              and Comrades, once gave a US Army MG a tour of Antietam. At the Sunken Road,
              after hearing the description of the carnage there, the General confessed he
              did not think the American fighting person today would be able to do what
              the boys of the Irish Brigade did back then.

              It took GUTS!

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,