Locher Farm

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2005
      I've always been interested in distinguishing between references to Mary Locher Farm and Alfred Poffenberger Farm.
      My suspicion has been they were the same farmstead. Ted Alexander noted that Locher rented the property to Poffernberger and they are same buildings. Hence I will assume there was one farm complex and it sat directly across from 15th MASS Monument where Locher Cabin still stands.

      I welcome further comments on my assumption.

      Carman makes references to rock outcroppings beyond that farm and we believe we found them yesterday (enshrouded within woodlot).

      The Locher Farm site has plenty of lumber and other construction materials piled around it. A large frame has been erected along it's east side (about 10 feet from cabin). Rangers confirmed that this is beginining of a frame being built to cover the cabin.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2005
        Tom S,
        Yes, this is correct, Mary Locher was a widow and rented the farm to Alfred Poffenberger. The names attributed to farm owners can be a bit of a mystery, for instance Nicodemus was renting, didn't buy the farm until April 1863. Sam Poffenberger was livingthere, but had not yet bought the farm from his father-in-law. Oh, and it is pronounced "Lucker" even though the spelling doesn't look that way.
        Tom C.

        >>> rotbaron@... 3/25/2005 7:54:38 AM >>>

        I've always been interested in distinguishing between references to Mary Locher Farm and Alfred Poffenberger Farm.
        My suspicion has been they were the same farmstead. Ted Alexander noted that Locher rented the property to Poffernberger and they are same buildings. Hence I will assume there was one farm complex and it sat directly across from 15th MASS Monument where Locher Cabin still stands.

        I welcome further comments on my assumption.

        Carman makes references to rock outcroppings beyond that farm and we believe we found them yesterday (enshrouded within woodlot).

        The Locher Farm site has plenty of lumber and other construction materials piled around it. A large frame has been erected along it's east side (about 10 feet from cabin). Rangers confirmed that this is beginining of a frame being built to cover the cabin.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To visit your group on the web, go to: