Best way from Gettysburg to Antietam?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2005
      Does anyone know the fastest way to get from Gettysburg to Antietam?

      Options seem to be:
      (1) heading west on Route 30 to I-81, then south on that interstate
      (2) south on Route 15 then over the mountain at Thurmont into Hagerstown
      (3) south on Route 15 to Frederick then west on I-70.

      I've done them all, but cannot assess which was fastest.

      Any tips are appreciated!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2005
        Dear Tom,

        Not sure if the Rte 15 to Frederick to Rte 40A is fastest, but it gets you
        to Boonsboro and then a short hop and jump up to Sharpsburg.

        Rte 15 from G'burg to Frederick and then your choice is best route.
        Guesstimate is about 45 min. from Gburg on Rte 15 to Frederick and then the
        possibilities of using either I70 or Rte 40A (Alt. 40--the old National
        Road).

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        > Does anyone know the fastest way to get from Gettysburg to Antietam?
        >
        > Options seem to be:
        > (1) heading west on Route 30 to I-81, then south on that interstate
        > (2) south on Route 15 then over the mountain at Thurmont into Hagerstown
        > (3) south on Route 15 to Frederick then west on I-70.
        >
        > I've done them all, but cannot assess which was fastest.
        >
        > Any tips are appreciated!
        >
        > Tom Shay

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • David Webb

          > Does anyone know the fastest way to get from Gettysburg to Antietam?
          >
          > Options seem to be:
          > (1) heading west on Route 30 to I-81, then south on that interstate
          > (2) south on Route 15 then over the mountain at Thurmont into Hagerstown
          > (3) south on Route 15 to Frederick then west on I-70.
          >
          > I've done them all, but cannot assess which was fastest.
          >
          > Any tips are appreciated!
          >
          > Tom Shay

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • robert blama

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2005
              I will take that route on my next trip down.I camp at gettysburg never get tired of spending a few days there and then drive down to sharpsburg..Antietam battlefield.

              robert blama <civilwar1@...> wrote:I always go south on 15 to 40 over South Mt and make a left at Boonsboro.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2005
                Thanks to Tom for a great battlefield walk today. Great job. We ended
                up at the 40 acre Cornfield at the south end and it was so beautiful
                and serene with the recent tree clearings (thanks to the SHAF folks).

                We learned that the park is doing some controlled tree burns early next
                month. And ranger walk season has started. They are doing Rodman's
                advance this weekend up from the creek through some out-of-the-way
                ground. Lots going on down there.

                Stephen Recker
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 25, 2005
                  Dear Stephen,

                  Glad to hear you had a great day yesterday. Would have been there but the
                  combination of weather and a little bit of a URI daunted me.

                  Tom S tells me there will be other opportunities, so I look forward to that.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps