RE: [TalkAntietam] Carman-Cope

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
      Brian,
      Tom has just finished transcribing Carman's papers of the Maryland Campaign
      for his doctoral
      and has seven chapters done with his(Tom's) notes. Tom will have to answer
      whether it was independent of the Board or part of his work with. I'm not
      quite sure where he got the manuscript from as he can answer that too. I did
      not see him on so I answered what I could.
      Regards,
      kevin

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
        Brian Downey wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > I have been wondering for years, but never asked, is there a
        > published source for the Antietam Battlefield Board Papers and/or
        > maps? I gather from the grapevine that they may reside in the secret
        > back-room at the Battlefield Visitor's Center, but I'm ashamed to
        > admit I've never actually asked to see.

        As far as I know, there is only the 1904 edition of the Atlas,
        of which I am lucky enough to have a copy. It is quite spectacular
        (elephant folio) and in color.

        I am currently in the process of geo-referencing the troop placements,
        a task which will take quite some time to complete. Geo referencing
        is assigning earth coordinates to features on maps, aerial photographs,
        or satellite images.

        Here is a sample from plate 1 "Daybreak":

        http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/atlasClose.jpg

        Regards,
        TR Livesey
        westwood@...
      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2001
          TR,
          I am probably telling you things you already know, but I hope you have the
          revised 1908 version of the 1904 atlas. Carman made significant changes in
          1908 and reissued the maps. As Kevin mentioned earlier, I have finished a
          complete transcription of his 1,800 page manuscript and am working on
          editing, notating and publishing it.