Restore of Hagerstown Pike fence

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 16 3:06 PM
      I called Antietam office today and spoke with a ranger. He proudly noted that
      they've just finished building the Hagerstown Pike's fencing from Phila
      Brigade Park north up to Rt 65 entrance. Only western side of road is done. Looking
      forward to seeing that.

      I will be at Antietam on Thursday March 24 to give an amateur tour for some
      NH friends. Anyone else who happens to be around that day is welcome to join
      our group.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 16 8:31 PM
        Tom --

        We've been chatting on this page for a year or so now -- and I hope you're
        not refering to yourself as an "amateur." I would venture to say that you
        are more familiar with Antietam than a classroom full of "historians."

        Wish I could be there!!!!!

        Richard

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17 5:19 AM
          Dear Richard,

          I know Tom Shay and he would put many professional historians to shame! But
          he is a highly gifted amateur historian and has done much to expand the
          knowledge of many people on the battle, this writer included.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 17 6:05 AM
            Tom et al,
            I saw the new fencing last night, it looks good. It extends along the
            Pike from the Miller Barn down to West Woods entrance. SHAF had some
            discussions with te NPs about this. It is our contention that the
            photos show it was six rail fence in some areas, especially along this
            stretch of the Pike. We offered to pay for six rail if the NPS would
            put it in. (It costs much more, but Monocacy has some so we know it can
            be had.)
            We also asked that instead of being placed well off the paved surface
            they erect it right on the edge of the road to convey the feeling of
            being hemmed in when in the road, just as the soldiers described.
            Obviously for traffic safety reasons they could not close in the road,
            and they did not agree with our assessment of the six rails, so we
            funded a portion of fence along Branch Ave. instead. Still, five rail
            in the wrong place is better than no fence at all. Now if we could just
            bury those power lines...
            Tom Clemens

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 17 8:53 AM
              Well, it seems these two lads (Richard and Gerry) have a gift for the blarney today!

              You humble me with your attempt to classify me as something beyond amateur. I have a sincere interest in exploring Civil War battlefields and the events that happened upon them. I also enjoy sharing such knowledge with everyone. But I just can't fine the time to immerse myself into it like the professsionals have.

              Now, Be Good or Be Gone!

              Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 17 10:03 AM
                While we're discussing six rail fences, and as a part of my never-ending
                tribute to Walter Smith who guided me across the battlefield for two days
                while researching TMMF, he told me an interesting fact about six-rail
                fences. Each rail has a name. Beginning at the bottom (obviously) -- the
                pig rail, the dog rail, the cow rail, the goat rail, the horse rail and the
                deer rail... Just an interesting little fact.

                Richard Croker
                www.rcroker.com

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 17 1:07 PM
                  Yes, I 've heard Walt do this too, and he was quite a story teller. he and John Adams are both gone now, God bless them. I always heard six rail fence calledd "Hog-tight, bull-strong, and horse-high."
                  Tom Clemens

                  >>> richard@... 3/17/2005 1:03:38 PM >>>

                  While we're discussing six rail fences, and as a part of my never-ending
                  tribute to Walter Smith who guided me across the battlefield for two days
                  while researching TMMF, he told me an interesting fact about six-rail
                  fences. Each rail has a name. Beginning at the bottom (obviously) -- the
                  pig rail, the dog rail, the cow rail, the goat rail, the horse rail and the
                  deer rail... Just an interesting little fact.

                  Richard Croker
                  www.rcroker.com

                  > I saw the new fencing last night, it looks good. It extends along the
                  > Pike from the Miller Barn down to West Woods entrance. SHAF had some
                  > discussions with te NPs about this. It is our contention that the
                  > photos show it was six rail fence in some areas, especially along this
                  > stretch of the Pike. We offered to pay for six rail if the NPS would
                  > put it in. (It costs much more, but Monocacy has some so we know it can
                  > be had.)
                  > We also asked that instead of being placed well off the paved surface
                  > they erect it right on the edge of the road to convey the feeling of
                  > being hemmed in when in the road, just as the soldiers described.
                  > Obviously for traffic safety reasons they could not close in the road,
                  > and they did not agree with our assessment of the six rails, so we
                  > funded a portion of fence along Branch Ave. instead. Still, five rail
                  > in the wrong place is better than no fence at all. Now if we could just
                  > bury those power lines...
                  > Tom Clemens

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 17 4:22 PM
                    I heard that too. Love it.

                    I dedicated my book in part to Walter. When I was up there signing a few
                    months ago, his son came by. It was VERY emotional. It was his first trip
                    to the field since W had died there.

                    When I heard of Walter's passing I came home and changed the casualty
                    figures in the book from 23,110 to 23,111.

                    One quick Walter story (and I have several): when we first met, he said to
                    me, "How long do you think we'll be out there today?" I said, "Till the sun
                    goes down or victory is won." He laughed out loud and said, "We're gonna
                    have some fun today." He prefered to guide people who already knew the
                    facts and were looking for the details. Quite a few of the visuals in TMMF
                    are courtesy of Walter. I'll never forget those two days.

                    Here's looking at you, Walter!

                    Richard Croker
                    www.rcroker.com

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 17 4:57 PM
                      Dear Richard,

                      Sounds like you lost a good friend when he passed.

                      Let me know, please, next time you are anywhere near Antietam over a
                      weekend. If my schedule permits, I would be honored to meet you and spend
                      some hours on the field with you........

                      Very respectfully,
                      G E "Gerry" Mayers
                      Confederate Signal Corps,
                      Longstreet's Corps

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 17 6:34 PM
                        And I with you, sir! I spoke with Bob Casey last week (bookstore Bob) and
                        we may be able to work out an anniversary signing. They're still not sure
                        what the plans are for this year. We'll see.

                        And yes -- even though I knew W only briefly, I most certainly did lose a
                        friend.

                        I have other friends up there as well. Chris and Denise Yeager ran the
                        Rohrbach Inn which is where I stayed whenever I went up there. It was Chris
                        who gave me his copy of The Killer Angels -- just thought I should read it
                        for some reason -- and that was the very first step on my path. Yes, sir,
                        Heavenly Valley is filled with grand people.

                        Richard Croker
                        www.rcroker.com

                        > Sounds like you lost a good friend when he passed.
                        >
                        > Let me know, please, next time you are anywhere near Antietam over a
                        > weekend. If my schedule permits, I would be honored to meet you and spend
                        > some hours on the field with you........
                        >
                        > Very respectfully,
                        > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        > Confederate Signal Corps,
                        > Longstreet's Corps

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 17 7:15 PM
                          Dear Richard,

                          Annniversary weekend this year is same weekend as my reenactment umbrella
                          organization's School of Instruction, not very far away. The event will be
                          over around noontime on that particular Sunday. So we will have to see.

                          If it doies not work out, perhaps if business or something similar brings
                          you up from Georgia near to Antietam, I can probably make arrangements to
                          meet you at Antietam on a Saturday morning.

                          Very respectfully,
                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 18 4:46 AM
                            Here is some really great news!

                            Stephen Recker

                            ---------------------------------

                            Friday March 18, 2005

                            Two men plead in Jefferson Rock vandalism

                            by DAVE McMILLION

                            charlestown@...

                            MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Two Harpers Ferry, W.Va., residents entered guilty
                            pleas Thursday in U.S. District Court in connection with a vandalism
                            incident in December at Jefferson Rock, a popular tourist attraction in
                            Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.

                            Steven Nicholas Hopkins of 448 Persimmon Lane, entered a guilty plea to
                            one count of an indictment charging him with causing damage to
                            Jefferson Rock by painting it red, according to U.S. Attorney Thomas E.
                            Johnston.

                            Nicholas Brian Vlachos of 151 Blue Ridge Acres, entered a guilty plea
                            to one count of an indictment charging him with assisting Hopkins and
                            his brother, Robert Owen Hopkins Jr., on Dec. 22 to "hinder and prevent
                            their apprehension," Johnston said.

                            On Monday, Robert Owen Hopkins Jr., of 448 Persimmon Pear Lane, pleaded
                            guilty to one count of an indictment charging him with causing damage
                            to Jefferson Rock by painting it red with spray paint, Johnston said.

                            Sentencing for the three men has been scheduled for June 13, Johnston
                            said.

                            Steven Hopkins and Robert Hopkins each face up to 10 years in prison
                            and a fine of $250,000 and Vlachos faces up to five years in prison and
                            a fine of $125,000, Johnston said.

                            All three men are free on bond.

                            In the vandalism, the top of Jefferson Rock was painted red and red
                            paint was used to write graffiti on nearby rocks, said Chief Ranger
                            Jennifer Flynn.

                            The word "peace" appeared in the graffiti, but other markings included
                            a star and a symbol that park officials could not initially decipher,
                            Flynn said at the time.

                            Park officials said it was the "worst case of damage to a cultural
                            resource in the park's 60-year history."

                            Each year, hundreds of thousands of people hike to the rock to see a
                            panoramic view of the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers,
                            along with Harpers Ferry, park officials said.

                            Thomas Jefferson described the vista as "perhaps one of the most
                            stupendous scenes in nature" in "Notes on the State of Virginia" after
                            hiking to the spot in 1783.
                          • richard@rcroker.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 18 5:02 AM
                              You know what? We ought to arrange a meeting of the whole damned group!!!!

                              Whaddya think, guys???

                              > Annniversary weekend this year is same weekend as my reenactment umbrella
                              > organization's School of Instruction, not very far away. The event will be
                              > over around noontime on that particular Sunday. So we will have to see.
                              >
                              > If it doies not work out, perhaps if business or something similar brings
                              > you up from Georgia near to Antietam, I can probably make arrangements to
                              > meet you at Antietam on a Saturday morning.
                              >
                              > Very respectfully,
                              > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                              > Confederate Signal Corps,
                              > Longstreet's Corps

                              Service.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 18 5:15 AM
                                Sounds like an idea!

                                Very respectfully,
                                G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                Confederate Signal Corps,
                                Longstreet's Corps

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 18 5:29 AM
                                  I'm in.

                                  Stephen Recker

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 18 5:31 AM

                                    I would love to join you. When do you think you might be around? Thanks.

                                    Stephen Recker

                                  • rotbaron@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 18 9:12 AM
                                      Stephen,

                                      I am awaiting a phone call from NH people to confirm times.

                                      Only time commitment is a short stop at Antietam NPS's library at 10:30 AM.

                                      I would like to get to Antietam in early morning (8 AM?) so I can cover Sunken Road tour. We will start at Sunken Lane and walk out beyond Roulette Farm. Then return by trekking up the slope in path of Meagher's men.

                                      After the library stop, I want to head to Burnside Bridge for trek to the 40-Acre cornfield area. If time allows (I expect it will), West Woods hike to Hauser Ridge will conclude the day.

                                      I will notify you as soon as times become more defined.

                                      Long range forecast for Thursday is perfect.

                                      Tom Shay

                                      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam walk
                                      Tom,

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 18 9:14 AM
                                        I have made it to Anniversary weekend at Antietam at least ten years straight.
                                        See you there!

                                        You know what? We ought to arrange a meeting of the whole damned group!!!!

                                        Whaddya think, guys???

                                        > Annniversary weekend this year is same weekend as my reenactment umbrella
                                        > organization's School of Instruction, not very far away. The event will be
                                        > over around noontime on that particular Sunday. So we will have to see.
                                        >
                                        > If it doies not work out, perhaps if business or something similar brings
                                        > you up from Georgia near to Antietam, I can probably make arrangements to
                                        > meet you at Antietam on a Saturday morning.
                                        >
                                        > Very respectfully,
                                        > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                        > Confederate Signal Corps,
                                        > Longstreet's Corps

                                        Service.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 18 9:17 AM

                                          Maybe I can join you there also, but will have to see.
                                          Very respectfully,
                                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                                          Longstreet's Corps

                                        • rotbaron@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 18 9:37 AM
                                            Gerry, Obviously you are also welcome.

                                            Likely I will depart from Schuylkill County by 5:30 AM. You could catch a ride with me if you can be on I-78 Exit 16 by then!

                                            With the next day being Good Friday and a holiday for many, I'm sure traffic coming back will be a little heavy on Thursday night.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 18 9:40 AM

                                              Is the 5.30 at the exit or ?

                                              Very respectfully,
                                              G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                              Confederate Signal Corps,
                                              Longstreet's Corps

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 18 10:37 AM
                                                Too long a drive for me! :-)

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 18 7:05 PM
                                                  In a message dated 3/18/05 12:51:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                  gerry1952@... writes:
                                                  Is the 5.30 at the exit or ?
                                                  Gerry,

                                                  As of this moment, I am trying to plan for an arrival on battlefield at 8 AM.
                                                  I have to pick up two NH people in Gettysburg.
                                                  It takes me 90 minutes to get to Gburg.
                                                  I believe it takes 1 hour to get from Gburg to Antietam.
                                                  That mean 2.5+ hours travel.
                                                  If I leave Cressona at 5:15 AM, I would be hitting I-78 Exit 16 at 5:30 AM.

                                                  If you or anyone else are seriously considering making the trip, let me know.
                                                  I may end up renting a van, but I'll pay for rental and gas.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 18 7:20 PM
                                                    Dear Tom,

                                                    My wife says she does not see a problem with my making the trip. 5.30 at
                                                    Exit 16, which is, I believe, the exit for Cabela's?

                                                    We can confirm later.

                                                    Very respectfully,
                                                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                                    Confederate Signal Corps,