Volunteers Needed at Antietam

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2005
      From Antietam NPS website....

      Volunteers Needed at Antietam National Battlefield

      Contact: Park Ranger Debbie Cohen, 301-432-2243

      Sharpsburg, Maryland—On Saturday, April 2, 2005, volunteers from around the
      country will team up with the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT) to help clean
      and restore America’s historic battlefields, cemeteries and shrines. The
      nationwide effort—dubbed Park Day—will include nearly 80 historic sites in 24
      states.

      Park Day, now in its ninth year, is an annual hands-on preservation event
      created by the CWPT to assist local groups with the maintenance of Civil War
      sites. Participants gather at the sites to help with activities that range from
      trash pick-up to trail building. In exchange for their hard work, volunteers
      receive t-shirts and have an opportunity to learn about the significance of the
      site.

      Antietam National Battlefield is one of the sites that will benefit from Park
      Day-related activities. Volunteers are needed to clean up trails and stream
      banks, as well as plant trees and assist with other restoration projects.
      Antietam National Battlefield will provide any needed equipment, however,
      participants are asked to dress for the weather, bring a water bottle, and wear sturdy
      shoes or boots. Leather work gloves will also come in handy. For more
      information, please contact Debbie Cohen at 301-432-2243 ext. 13 or
      Debbie_Cohen@...

      Posted by Tom Shay

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2005
        Tom,
        Thanks for reminding me! SHAF is hosting a work day on Sat. March 19.
        We will meet at the flag pole in the parking lot at 9:00 and we'll head
        to the Shade property to cut & clear. This is a real work day, bring
        gloves, and water, dress appropriately for the weather. Let me know if
        you can make it, it is very gratifying work.
        Tom Clemens

        >>> rotbaron@... 03/12/05 10:05 PM >>>