Re: [TalkAntietam] NH at Antietam:

  • Stephen Bockmiller
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 7, 2005
      Group...

      I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other
      regarding the perspectives shared in this
      discussion... we all agree that preserving as much as
      possible is the goal....

      But I throw the following out to be chewed upon...

      I am of the belief that you cannot, nor should you
      save EVERYTHING. If this was the case, then there
      would be a fence around everything from the
      Susquehanna River to the Appomattox River.

      For example, there is a grass roots effort to save the
      "Battle of Falling Waters" Battlefield in Berkeley
      County, WV. I have seen numerous "Save the..."
      campaigns for battlefields that I, as someone has been
      a "Civil War Nut" since I was about 8 years old,
      barely heard of. This effort would be better served
      if those taking on these projects would instead, join
      the cause to protect Harpers Ferry, or Antietam, or
      Gettysburg. How many "heritage tourism" visitors will
      actually go out of their way to visit the "Falling
      Waters County Battlefield"?

      I had an ancestor who was killed on June 1, 64 in a
      skirmish in Hannover County, VA, which resulted in
      about 30 casualties. If it were to develop, should a
      ground swell rise to save the site? Not in my
      opinion. Put the effort that would have been put into
      that toward the effort to save Chancellorsville.

      It would seem to me that the more logical tact is to
      focus on those pivotal battles, most of which are
      already National Parks, and focus on making sure that
      all the land within their boundaries are protected,
      and buffers around those parks are established.

      Submitted for discussion and consideration...

      Steve Bockmiller
      Middletown Maryland (which too was a battlefield)

      === message truncated ===

      __________________________________
      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • Scott Mingus
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16, 2005
        > > Steve Bockmiller wrote:

        > > > Falling Waters, WV (currently in the local news)
        > > > Hanover, PA (if someone was inclined to try)
        > > > Shepherdstown, WV (currently subject of

        Steve,

        I live in York County, PA, and work not far from Hanover. There's not
        much left there to preserve. Since much of the fighting occurred in
        the town's streets or in fields immediately adjacent to Hanover,
        almost all the open land that saw combat is gone (long since
        swallowed up by houses on streets named Stuart Avenue, etc.). One
        last vista from the Keller farm where the horse artillery lobbed
        shells at Hanover is now gone as of last summer (new construction).
        Even the small ditch that Stuart and Blackford leaped on horseback is
        in the backyards of private homes. Some of the routes that Stuart
        took to manuever are still pastoral, but I question how many more
        years this will be true.

        Mt. Olive Cemetery (CSA gun position and Hampton's line) is
        surrounded by houses, the Union gun positions north of town on the
        heights are indiscernible from the rows of houses, and the Rice farm
        is no longer a farm, nor is the Forney farm.

        Downtown, there is a nice statue (The Picket), a couple cannons
        (including Parrott gun tube #1), some other ACW displays and plaques,
        and a couple state historical markers. One wall plaque honors Custer.