Carman-Cope

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
      Hi group,

      I have been wondering for years, but never asked, is there a
      published source for the Antietam Battlefield Board Papers and/or
      maps? I gather from the grapevine that they may reside in the secret
      back-room at the Battlefield Visitor's Center, but I'm ashamed to
      admit I've never actually asked to see.

      I'm thinking these would be eminently publishable, if not already.

      Also, did Gen Carman pen a manuscript about the Battle independent of
      his work with the Board? Anybody?

      Tom, is this related to the Doctoral work you're doing?

      Thanks for any help,

      Brian
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
        Brian,
        Tom has just finished transcribing Carman's papers of the Maryland Campaign
        for his doctoral
        and has seven chapters done with his(Tom's) notes. Tom will have to answer
        whether it was independent of the Board or part of his work with. I'm not
        quite sure where he got the manuscript from as he can answer that too. I did
        not see him on so I answered what I could.
        Regards,
        kevin

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
          Brian Downey wrote:

          > Hi group,
          >
          > I have been wondering for years, but never asked, is there a
          > published source for the Antietam Battlefield Board Papers and/or
          > maps? I gather from the grapevine that they may reside in the secret
          > back-room at the Battlefield Visitor's Center, but I'm ashamed to
          > admit I've never actually asked to see.

          As far as I know, there is only the 1904 edition of the Atlas,
          of which I am lucky enough to have a copy. It is quite spectacular
          (elephant folio) and in color.

          I am currently in the process of geo-referencing the troop placements,
          a task which will take quite some time to complete. Geo referencing
          is assigning earth coordinates to features on maps, aerial photographs,
          or satellite images.

          Here is a sample from plate 1 "Daybreak":

          http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/atlasClose.jpg

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          westwood@...
        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2001
            TR,
            I am probably telling you things you already know, but I hope you have the
            revised 1908 version of the 1904 atlas. Carman made significant changes in
            1908 and reissued the maps. As Kevin mentioned earlier, I have finished a
            complete transcription of his 1,800 page manuscript and am working on
            editing, notating and publishing it.