Re: [Antietam preservation

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
      Brian,
      Many thanks for your concern about Antietam. While I would not be so
      bold as to say there is no danger, I can say that the danger cannot
      immediately infringe on the battlefield. The NPS controls most of the
      roughly 3,200 acres of the core fighting area. Local zoning and the
      eminent domain ofthe NPS will not allow commercial development inside
      this area. Surroundingthat land the state of MD has purchased easements
      on nearly 5,000 acres, which means no new structures can be built. That
      means that about 8,000 acres cannot be developed at all, and anything
      beyond that is way offthe field. There are a few select sites that we
      still have some concern for, but mostly Antietam is a good example of a
      battlefield preserved for the ages.
      BTW, SHAF had a hand in all of this.
      Tom Clemens

      >>> ironbrigade@... 03/03/05 11:24 PM >>>
    • Brian Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
        Antietam is the poster child for good preservation imho. I would however
        never say never. Zoning laws can be changed. There are still areas that in
        theory can be developed and while the town of Sharpsburg currently is not a
        town in favor of growth that can change. I never thought Wilson's Creek
        would be threatened the way it is now either.

        Last spring was actually my first trip to Antietam (I took a second short
        trip in July). I drove down from Gettysburg, through Boonsboro and then
        after Antietam I went down to Harpers Ferry before driving back up to
        Gettysburg. I have to say that area of Maryland is a really beautiful place.
        I enjoyed that drive so much that this summer on our annual trip to our
        convention in Harrisburg we will take the southern route and drive through
        Harpers Ferry and Sharpsburg so my wife can see how beautiful the area is.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
          Dear Brian,

          As someone who has been through lower Washington County many times, I can
          say that while the village of Sharpsburg itself has resisted almost all
          attempts at development, the northern part of Washington County, around
          Hagerstown, has been developing at quite a rate.

          Tom Clemens can surely fill you in on more details than I, but it is only
          going to be a matter of time before the pace of development reaches down
          into Boonsboro and Sharpsburg areas.

          IMHO, we need to be ready for that fight "before" it happens. SHAF has a
          relatively good partnership with the Antietam NBP as well as a relatively
          good relationship with the Town Fathers of Sharpsburg and those of
          Washington County.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,