Irish Brigade hikes: March 19-20

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
      From Antietam NPS website:

      Irish Brigade Hikes Kick Off Antietam Spring Hike Series

      Date: March 19, 2005 - March 20, 2005

      Contact: Park Ranger Brian Baracz, 301-432-5124

      Saturday, March 19th, The Advance of the Irish Brigade - This battlefield
      hike will meet behind the Visitor Center at 1:15 pm and follow the footsteps of
      the Irish Brigade during their assault on the Sunken Road.
      Sunday, March 20th, Exploring the Irish Brigade - This battlefield hike will
      begin near the Observation Tower at 1:15 pm and will explore the terrain
      covered by General Israel Richardson’s Division after crossing the Antietam Creek.
      The full Spring Hike Schedule will be posted shortly. Both hikes will go on
      rain or shine and hikers should wear appropriate footwear for going through
      tall grassy fields as well as plowed fields. Unless noted, all programs begin and
      end at the same location. All information is subject to change.
      Please call the park (301) 432-5124 or check our web page at
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/home.htm before attending any special event.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
        Dear Tom Shay,

        Please share with me privately any new information you obtain on these hikes. Thanks.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Irish Brigade Hikes Kick Off Antietam Spring Hike Series

        Date: March 19, 2005 - March 20, 2005

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
          Is there some reason why Tom should not share such information publicly?

          Are the activities of the Irish Brigade at Antietam off topic for
          TalkAntietam?

          What am I missing here?

          Harry

          Date: March 19, 2005 - March 20, 2005

[...]

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hlc5v0/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1110287357/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
          etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

          :HM/A=2593423/rand=209108696>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          � To visit your group on the web, go to:

          � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
            Dear Harry,

            Sorry, did not mean to imply anything "secret". Of course, anything new
            should be shared here!

            I was thinking more about correspondence with Tom Shay relevant to my book
            manuscript and the fight between the Irish Brigade and Anderson's NC Brigade
            at the Sunken Road.

            You are correct. Tom should post here whatever he learns.

            Very respectfully,
            G E "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
              OK, Gerry. I just wanted to be sure there were not any rules of which I was
              unaware.

              Still can't figure out why yahoo inserts 2 extra lines between my paragraphs
              when my posts hit.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
                Actually it is unlikely that I will be attending the Irish Brigade hikes. The one on Sunday sounds interesting, but that's Palm Sunday and I volunteered to help with my church's Egg Hunt. Saturday is also bad because the grandest St Patrick's Day parade of them all is held in Girardville, PA on that day.

                I am working on a likely trip to Antietam for Thursday March 24. I am taking two friends from NH around the fields (no, they are not scouting for a possible NH monument site).

                Tom Shay
              • tlivesey@westwoodgalleries.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
                  Harry,

                  Didn't you get the notice? This is now the Gettysburg Monument Discussion
                  Board.

                  Other topics should be posted privately.

                  TRL

                  Quoting Harry Smeltzer <hjs21@...>:

                  > Is there some reason why Tom should not share such information publicly?
                  >

                  > Are the activities of the Irish Brigade at Antietam off topic for
                  > TalkAntietam?
                  >

                  > What am I missing here?
                  >

                  > Harry

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
                    Oh, that explains it.

                    (Though I have to admit I did contribute a brief post to that thread.)

                    I will contact you privately regarding new, indisputable evidence that Lee
                    had with him at Sharpsburg but 236 rookie infantrymen (unarmed), 2
                    blacksmiths, 5 cooks, and a footman. I wouldn't want to distract anyone ;-)