2nd MD went thru which fence?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2005
      As Nagle's Brigade moved forward toward the bridge, they crossed the plowed
      hill that is southeast of the bridge. The 2nd Maryland encountered a fence and
      needed to tear down a section to get thru in column. The crowding at the gap
      caused them some nasty casualties. Which fence was this?

      Tucker states "Then they encountered the split-rail fence that ran along the
      creek to the bridge" (page 100). Yet most other accounts and maps indicate it
      was the fence that ran along the Rohrbach road (i.e. road coming down from
      Rohrbach farm).

      Carman states: "The Rohrbach road was fenced with stout chestnut posts and
      rails, and was quite high. The officers ran ahead, soon removed a short panel..."

      Priest states this about the 2nd MD: "The regiment was pinned between the
      road and a very well constructed fence section along Rohrbach's southern lane."
      (page 225)

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
        I think Carman is correct. The Rohrersville road was indeed fenced.

        >>> rotbaron@... 03/04/05 10:02 PM >>>
      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
          We can look at the road intersection as an inverted T.
          Rohrbach Rd comes down from north and Rohrersville Rd is the base.
          Rohrhach Rd appears to be fenced on both sides.
          R'ville Rd is fenced on east side only.
          Most accounts have 2 MD cross Rohrbach Rd as they head to bridge.

          Perhaps this crude graphic will work and portray my perception:

          RORHRBACH FARM
          T || T
          T || T
          T || T
          TTTTTTTTTTT || TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT FENCE
          ===================== ROHRERSVILLE RD =====
          ~~~~~CREEK CREEK CREEK CREEK CREEK~~~~~~~~