Re: [TalkAntietam] What can be done?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
      Dr. Tom,

      That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?

      Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
        Currently there is a moratorium on monuments on NPS Civil War battlefields
        until I think 2007. This was in part a result of the 11th Mississippi and
        North Carolina monuments in Gettysburg. Here's a few websites dealing with
        the idea of new monuments and the official bill proposing the lifting of the
        moratorium.
        http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/monument_policy_change.htm
        http://hometown.aol.com/cwrtnh/
        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.2651:

        I think it is likely that this monument and others are inevitable. I
        actually talked to my local Congressman who is planning to support more
        monuments because he feels it's politically unwise not to. He was running
        against a Desert Storm veteran (almost lost) and felt he couldn't be shown
        to be anti veteran. This will likely be the case for many politicians who
        don't want to hand their opponents a nice little weapon come re-election.
        Unfortunately once we see a New Hampshire monument we will likely see many
        others as civil war groups go "Hey, how come there's no monument to the
        (insert regiment here) at Antietam".

        When the 11th Mississippi monument was placed near the Bryan's Farm in
        Gettysburg it broke precedence. In the past the general rule was "no
        regimental monuments in forward or transient positions". This was the rule
        set by the Civil War veterans committees in the 1880s covering monument
        placing. Then came the North Carolina and 11th Mississippi monuments which
        are placed near the Angle in Gettysburg thanks to some arm bending by a few
        Senators in Washington. The North Carolina one is placed perhaps 100 yards
        south of the sport where the Tar Heels actually hit the wall but the
        tourists would never see it so instead it was placed inside the angle and
        purposely farther up slope than the Armistead marker (Yes the fight over who
        got farther still rages on but that's another story).

        Like I said, if this goes through you are going to see not just a few but a
        lot of new monuments. You are going to see re-enactment groups who feel the
        unit they're recreating isn't properly represented and get their Senator to
        do some arm twisting to get the NPS to let them put it where ever they want.
        You'll see round table groups wanting their hometown hero to have a marker
        or monument to mark where they fought. Do we really want to see more
        monuments at the Angle, LRT or the Sunken Road? I don't but I have a feeling
        that we will.

        Brian

        > Dr. Tom,
        >
        > That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?
        >
        > Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!
        >
        > Very respectfully,
        > G E "Gerry" Mayers
        > Confederate Signal Corps,
        > Longstreet's Corps

        Service.

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
          My second book is about Fredericksburg -- talk about still fighting over who
          got closest to the wall!!!!! To this day you risk losing a friend if you
          suggest that Meagher got closer than Howard. And speaking of Howard AND
          monuments...he and Richard (The Angel of the Battlefield) Kirkland are the
          only statues on Marye's Heights. That's a bit of a travesty in my view.

          BTW (WARNING -- shameless plug to follow) -- To Make Men Free is now out in
          paperback. The Fredericksburg book is scheduled for March, Oh Six.

> [...]
          >
          > Like I said, if this goes through you are going to see not just a few but
          > lot of new monuments. You are going to see re-enactment groups who feel
          the
          > unit they're recreating isn't properly represented and get their Senator
          > do some arm twisting to get the NPS to let them put it where ever they
          want.
          > You'll see round table groups wanting their hometown hero to have a marker
          > or monument to mark where they fought. Do we really want to see more
          > monuments at the Angle, LRT or the Sunken Road? I don't but I have a
          feeling
          > that we will.
          >
          > Brian
          >

          > > Dr. Tom,
          > >
          > > That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?
          > >
          > > Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
            I think you mean Humphreys.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
              I just logged on to correct myself! You beat me to it (as I knew you
              would). Either way...