What can be done?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
      be vigilant, follow up rumors. Write federal elected officials and let
      them know you care about it. As far as I know there is no bill yet, but
      there is a commission from NH working very strenuously to do this.
      Tom Clemens

      >>> richard@... 03/03/05 5:15 PM >>>
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
        Dr. Tom,

        That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?

        Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        > be vigilant, follow up rumors. Write federal elected officials and let
        > them know you care about it. As far as I know there is no bill yet, but
        > there is a commission from NH working very strenuously to do this.
        > Tom Clemens
        >
        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
          Currently there is a moratorium on monuments on NPS Civil War battlefields
          until I think 2007. This was in part a result of the 11th Mississippi and
          North Carolina monuments in Gettysburg. Here's a few websites dealing with
          the idea of new monuments and the official bill proposing the lifting of the
          moratorium.
          http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/monument_policy_change.htm
          http://hometown.aol.com/cwrtnh/
          http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.2651:

          I think it is likely that this monument and others are inevitable. I
          actually talked to my local Congressman who is planning to support more
          monuments because he feels it's politically unwise not to. He was running
          against a Desert Storm veteran (almost lost) and felt he couldn't be shown
          to be anti veteran. This will likely be the case for many politicians who
          don't want to hand their opponents a nice little weapon come re-election.
          Unfortunately once we see a New Hampshire monument we will likely see many
          others as civil war groups go "Hey, how come there's no monument to the
          (insert regiment here) at Antietam".

          When the 11th Mississippi monument was placed near the Bryan's Farm in
          Gettysburg it broke precedence. In the past the general rule was "no
          regimental monuments in forward or transient positions". This was the rule
          set by the Civil War veterans committees in the 1880s covering monument
          placing. Then came the North Carolina and 11th Mississippi monuments which
          are placed near the Angle in Gettysburg thanks to some arm bending by a few
          Senators in Washington. The North Carolina one is placed perhaps 100 yards
          south of the sport where the Tar Heels actually hit the wall but the
          tourists would never see it so instead it was placed inside the angle and
          purposely farther up slope than the Armistead marker (Yes the fight over who
          got farther still rages on but that's another story).

          Like I said, if this goes through you are going to see not just a few but a
          lot of new monuments. You are going to see re-enactment groups who feel the
          unit they're recreating isn't properly represented and get their Senator to
          do some arm twisting to get the NPS to let them put it where ever they want.
          You'll see round table groups wanting their hometown hero to have a marker
          or monument to mark where they fought. Do we really want to see more
          monuments at the Angle, LRT or the Sunken Road? I don't but I have a feeling
          that we will.

          Brian

          > Dr. Tom,
          >
          > That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?
          >
          > Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!
          >
          > Very respectfully,
          > G E "Gerry" Mayers
          > Confederate Signal Corps,
          > Longstreet's Corps

          Service.

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
            My second book is about Fredericksburg -- talk about still fighting over who
            got closest to the wall!!!!! To this day you risk losing a friend if you
            suggest that Meagher got closer than Howard. And speaking of Howard AND
            monuments...he and Richard (The Angel of the Battlefield) Kirkland are the
            only statues on Marye's Heights. That's a bit of a travesty in my view.

            BTW (WARNING -- shameless plug to follow) -- To Make Men Free is now out in
            paperback. The Fredericksburg book is scheduled for March, Oh Six.

> [...]
            >
            > Like I said, if this goes through you are going to see not just a few but
            > lot of new monuments. You are going to see re-enactment groups who feel
            the
            > unit they're recreating isn't properly represented and get their Senator
            > do some arm twisting to get the NPS to let them put it where ever they
            want.
            > You'll see round table groups wanting their hometown hero to have a marker
            > or monument to mark where they fought. Do we really want to see more
            > monuments at the Angle, LRT or the Sunken Road? I don't but I have a
            feeling
            > that we will.
            >
            > Brian
            >

            > > Dr. Tom,
            > >
            > > That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?
            > >
            > > Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
              I think you mean Humphreys.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
                I just logged on to correct myself! You beat me to it (as I knew you
                would). Either way...