Re: [TalkAntietam] Grafitti by Monument

    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 3 4:18 PM
      <snip>> By the way -- have any of you noticed the privately-erected statue
      of Marse
      > Robert? It's actually a pretty nice statue as statues go, but Lee is
      > holding his field glasses in this one -- and we ALL know, on Sept 17 was
      > wasn't able to due to his wrist injuries. {sigh}

      Dear Richard,

      I have seen the statue and pictures of it. It is rather nice as statues go,
      but there are three glaring errors with it.

      One is as you have pointed out, Marse Robert was in no condition to hold
      Field Glasses on September 17th due to the injuries sustained to his wrists.

      The second is that Marse Rovert never actually set foot on the ground where
      the statue is! (He might possibly have passed by the property on the
      Boonsboro Turnpike, but elements of the ANV were never there.)

      Third, the word "secession" is mis spelt on the plaque on the statue base!

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps
    • Scott Mingus
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16 12:14 PM
        > > Steve Bockmiller wrote:

        > > > Falling Waters, WV (currently in the local news)
        > > > Hanover, PA (if someone was inclined to try)
        > > > Shepherdstown, WV (currently subject of

        Steve,

        I live in York County, PA, and work not far from Hanover. There's not
        much left there to preserve. Since much of the fighting occurred in
        the town's streets or in fields immediately adjacent to Hanover,
        almost all the open land that saw combat is gone (long since
        swallowed up by houses on streets named Stuart Avenue, etc.). One
        last vista from the Keller farm where the horse artillery lobbed
        shells at Hanover is now gone as of last summer (new construction).
        Even the small ditch that Stuart and Blackford leaped on horseback is
        in the backyards of private homes. Some of the routes that Stuart
        took to manuever are still pastoral, but I question how many more
        years this will be true.

        Mt. Olive Cemetery (CSA gun position and Hampton's line) is
        surrounded by houses, the Union gun positions north of town on the
        heights are indiscernible from the rows of houses, and the Rice farm
        is no longer a farm, nor is the Forney farm.

        Downtown, there is a nice statue (The Picket), a couple cannons
        (including Parrott gun tube #1), some other ACW displays and plaques,
        and a couple state historical markers. One wall plaque honors Custer.