Re: [TalkAntietam] Grafitti by Monument

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 3, 2005
      It's a double edged sword. One of the things I like about Gettysburg are the
      monuments. I find them to be a connection to the past. To the men who fought
      there and then erected the monuments. On the other hand, one of the things I
      like about Antietam is how pristine the battlefield is. It's in many ways as
      it was at the time of the battle.

      The monuments as they stand now are historical. They were placed by the men
      who fought there to remember fallen comrades. It was how they wanted the
      battlefield to be remembered. Monuments we place will not be historical
      since those erecting them have no true connection to the battle that took
      place there.

      I do disagree that monuments were placed haphazardly though. At both
      Gettysburg and Antietam there were monument commissions who oversaw and
      approved the design and placement of monuments. Great care was taken to make
      sure that they were placed in as appropriate a location as possible.
      Mistakes were made of course but in general they did a good job I think.
      Most times as well the monuments have a specific story to tell in their
      placements. At Gettysburg for example the 20th Indiana marks the location
      where it's commander Colonel Wheeler was mortally wounded. The 143rd Pa on
      McPherson's Ridge marks the spot where Color Sergeant Ben Crippen shook his
      fist in defiance at the oncoming Confederates and the 4th Michigan marks the
      location in the Wheatfield where the fight for their colors took place on
      July 2nd.

      I do see your point however. There is something about seeing a battlefield
      preserved and as it was the day the battle took place.

      Brian

      > If the truth be known, I'm in a minority here. It may even be a minority
      of
      > one. I generally don't like monuments at all. I wish they had all been
      > grouped together in the beginning -- like in a Hall of Monuments, rather
      > than spread (many times haphazardly) all over the hallowed field. I want
      > stand on a field and see what the men saw immediately prior to the
      > commencement of hostilities, and it's hard to do with monoliths and
      needles
      > and generally pretty horrible statues scattered about.
      >
      > By the way -- have any of you noticed the privately-erected statue of
      Marse
      > Robert? It's actually a pretty nice statue as statues go, but Lee is
      > holding his field glasses in this one -- and we ALL know, on Sept 17 was
      > wasn't able to due to his wrist injuries. {sigh}

    • Scott Mingus
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16, 2005
        > > Steve Bockmiller wrote:

        > > > Falling Waters, WV (currently in the local news)
        > > > Hanover, PA (if someone was inclined to try)
        > > > Shepherdstown, WV (currently subject of

        Steve,

        I live in York County, PA, and work not far from Hanover. There's not
        much left there to preserve. Since much of the fighting occurred in
        the town's streets or in fields immediately adjacent to Hanover,
        almost all the open land that saw combat is gone (long since
        swallowed up by houses on streets named Stuart Avenue, etc.). One
        last vista from the Keller farm where the horse artillery lobbed
        shells at Hanover is now gone as of last summer (new construction).
        Even the small ditch that Stuart and Blackford leaped on horseback is
        in the backyards of private homes. Some of the routes that Stuart
        took to manuever are still pastoral, but I question how many more
        years this will be true.

        Mt. Olive Cemetery (CSA gun position and Hampton's line) is
        surrounded by houses, the Union gun positions north of town on the
        heights are indiscernible from the rows of houses, and the Rice farm
        is no longer a farm, nor is the Forney farm.

        Downtown, there is a nice statue (The Picket), a couple cannons
        (including Parrott gun tube #1), some other ACW displays and plaques,
        and a couple state historical markers. One wall plaque honors Custer.