Re: [TalkAntietam] Grafitti by Monument

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 3, 2005
      If the truth be known, I'm in a minority here. It may even be a minority of
      one. I generally don't like monuments at all. I wish they had all been
      grouped together in the beginning -- like in a Hall of Monuments, rather
      than spread (many times haphazardly) all over the hallowed field. I want to
      stand on a field and see what the men saw immediately prior to the
      commencement of hostilities, and it's hard to do with monoliths and needles
      and generally pretty horrible statues scattered about.

      By the way -- have any of you noticed the privately-erected statue of Marse
      Robert? It's actually a pretty nice statue as statues go, but Lee is
      holding his field glasses in this one -- and we ALL know, on Sept 17 was
      wasn't able to due to his wrist injuries. {sigh}
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16, 2005
        > > Steve Bockmiller wrote:

        > > > Falling Waters, WV (currently in the local news)
        > > > Hanover, PA (if someone was inclined to try)
        > > > Shepherdstown, WV (currently subject of

        Steve,

        I live in York County, PA, and work not far from Hanover. There's not
        much left there to preserve. Since much of the fighting occurred in
        the town's streets or in fields immediately adjacent to Hanover,
        almost all the open land that saw combat is gone (long since
        swallowed up by houses on streets named Stuart Avenue, etc.). One
        last vista from the Keller farm where the horse artillery lobbed
        shells at Hanover is now gone as of last summer (new construction).
        Even the small ditch that Stuart and Blackford leaped on horseback is
        in the backyards of private homes. Some of the routes that Stuart
        took to manuever are still pastoral, but I question how many more
        years this will be true.

        Mt. Olive Cemetery (CSA gun position and Hampton's line) is
        surrounded by houses, the Union gun positions north of town on the
        heights are indiscernible from the rows of houses, and the Rice farm
        is no longer a farm, nor is the Forney farm.

        Downtown, there is a nice statue (The Picket), a couple cannons
        (including Parrott gun tube #1), some other ACW displays and plaques,
        and a couple state historical markers. One wall plaque honors Custer.