Re: [TalkAntietam] NH at Antietam:

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 3, 2005
      May I "amen" the amen????

      Richard
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Brian Morris" <ironbrigade@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 2:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] NH at Antietam:

      > If the New Hampshire monument is allowed it will unfortunately be followed
      > by other monuments. Perhaps many more. There are a good dozen or more
      groups
      > who are planning to push for their own monuments so this isn't just about
      > one monument but perhaps a score more for Gettysburg, Antietam and other
      > battlefields.
      >
      > The problem is the political trap that this proposal is putting
      politicians
      > in. Nobody wants to be seen at voting against a memorial. Looks bad when
      > your opponent can say "and my opponent voted against allowing a memorial
      > honor the sacrifice of our good men in uniform".
      >
      > We've had discussions on this in the Gettysburg Discussion Group. These
      > monuments are often called Hobby Monuments but I prefer to call them
      > graffiti by monument. People want to get their favorite
      > regiment/state/soldier/whathaveyou a monument on their favorite
      battlefield.
      > However I always like to use the line from the third Indiana Jones film
      that
      > goes "Do you seek the grail for his glory or for yours". Unfortunately I
      > think in the case of the New Hampshire monument like many other proposals
      > it's more of a case of wanting the thrill of placing a monument on their
      > favorite battlefield that can never be removed. They feel it gives them a
      > closer connection to the field. Graffiti by monument.
      >
      > The job of this and future generations is not to decide that the veterans
      of
      > the battle didn't do a good enough job putting memorials on the
      battlefield
      > so we have to add our own. Our job is to preserve the battlefields as they
      > were left to us. We can preserve and restore but we should never have the
      > ego to think that we have the right to add. There is a saying in cave
      > exploring. Leave nothing but footprints. Take nothing but pictures. Future
      > generations should see Gettysburg, Antietam and other battlefields as
      close
      > as we can to how the veterans intended and not even know we were ever
      there.

      > Brian
      >

      > > No there are no NH monumnets at Antietam, YET! The state is pushing
      > legislation and has plans to erect a new monument near Burnside Bridge.
      > Myself, along with the majority of the Directors of SHAF, think it is a
      > terrible idea to put new monuments on the any battlefield. I'll keep you
      > posted.
      > >

      > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
      > > Professor of History
      > > Hagerstown Community College

      > > Are there any memorials at Antietam to New Hampshire units (tablets,
      > markers, monuments)? I am having hard time tracking moves of 6th and 9th
      NH
      > east of the creek. More on that later.
      > >
      > > I'm almost done my summary of the action east of Burnside's Bridge, and
      > do appreciate the great assistance I've been given by this group.
      > >
      > > One question remains unanswered: what two companies of the 11th Ohio
      > opened the fight?
      > >
      > > Tom Shay
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Scott Mingus
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16, 2005
        > > Steve Bockmiller wrote:

        > > > Falling Waters, WV (currently in the local news)
        > > > Hanover, PA (if someone was inclined to try)
        > > > Shepherdstown, WV (currently subject of

        Steve,

        I live in York County, PA, and work not far from Hanover. There's not
        much left there to preserve. Since much of the fighting occurred in
        the town's streets or in fields immediately adjacent to Hanover,
        almost all the open land that saw combat is gone (long since
        swallowed up by houses on streets named Stuart Avenue, etc.). One
        last vista from the Keller farm where the horse artillery lobbed
        shells at Hanover is now gone as of last summer (new construction).
        Even the small ditch that Stuart and Blackford leaped on horseback is
        in the backyards of private homes. Some of the routes that Stuart
        took to manuever are still pastoral, but I question how many more
        years this will be true.

        Mt. Olive Cemetery (CSA gun position and Hampton's line) is
        surrounded by houses, the Union gun positions north of town on the
        heights are indiscernible from the rows of houses, and the Rice farm
        is no longer a farm, nor is the Forney farm.

        Downtown, there is a nice statue (The Picket), a couple cannons
        (including Parrott gun tube #1), some other ACW displays and plaques,
        and a couple state historical markers. One wall plaque honors Custer.