Re: [TalkAntietam] NH at Antietam:

    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 3 8:19 AM
      No there are no NH monumnets at Antietam, YET! The state is pushing legislation and has plans to erect a new monument near Burnside Bridge. Myself, along with the majority of the Directors of SHAF, think it is a terrible idea to put new monuments on the any battlefield. I'll keep you posted.

      >>> rotbaron@... 3/3/2005 10:25:46 AM >>>

      Are there any memorials at Antietam to New Hampshire units (tablets, markers, monuments)? I am having hard time tracking moves of 6th and 9th NH east of the creek. More on that later.

      I'm almost done my summary of the action east of Burnside's Bridge, and I do appreciate the great assistance I've been given by this group.

      One question remains unanswered: what two companies of the 11th Ohio opened the fight?

      Tom Shay

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

    • Scott Mingus
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16 12:14 PM
        > > Steve Bockmiller wrote:

        > > > Falling Waters, WV (currently in the local news)
        > > > Hanover, PA (if someone was inclined to try)
        > > > Shepherdstown, WV (currently subject of

        Steve,

        I live in York County, PA, and work not far from Hanover. There's not
        much left there to preserve. Since much of the fighting occurred in
        the town's streets or in fields immediately adjacent to Hanover,
        almost all the open land that saw combat is gone (long since
        swallowed up by houses on streets named Stuart Avenue, etc.). One
        last vista from the Keller farm where the horse artillery lobbed
        shells at Hanover is now gone as of last summer (new construction).
        Even the small ditch that Stuart and Blackford leaped on horseback is
        in the backyards of private homes. Some of the routes that Stuart
        took to manuever are still pastoral, but I question how many more
        years this will be true.

        Mt. Olive Cemetery (CSA gun position and Hampton's line) is
        surrounded by houses, the Union gun positions north of town on the
        heights are indiscernible from the rows of houses, and the Rice farm
        is no longer a farm, nor is the Forney farm.

        Downtown, there is a nice statue (The Picket), a couple cannons
        (including Parrott gun tube #1), some other ACW displays and plaques,
        and a couple state historical markers. One wall plaque honors Custer.