Re: [TalkAntietam] Burnside Bridge: 36th OHIO?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
      Still trying to determine any role played by 36th OHIO at the bridge, but
      found two more conflicting statements...

      Dennis Frye's ANTIETAM REVEALED states (on pg 119) that Crook "held the
      largest of his three regiments, 800 men of the 36th Ohio, in reserve."

      THE MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM by Charles S. Adams indicates that their monument's
      text states "This regiment advanced near the bridge over Antietam Creek on
      the morning of September 17, 1862, supporting Sturgis' Division. It participated
      in the charge by which the bridge was captured".

    • Tim Reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
        OR 19/1: 471-472

        HEADQUARTERS SECOND BRIGADE, KANAWHA DIVISION, Mouth of Antietam Creek, September 20, 1862.

        CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report that on the morning of the 17th instant I received orders from the general commanding corps to cross the bridge over Antietam Creek after General Sturgis had taken the bridge; but upon my arrival in the vicinity of the bridge I found that General Sturgis' command had not arrived; so I sent the Eleventh Regiment ahead as skirmishers in the direction of the bridge, and conducted the Twenty-eighth Regiment above the bridge to reconnoiter the enemy's position, leaving the Thirty-sixth Regiment as reserve. After a labor of two hours, I succeeded in establishing two pieces of Simmonds' battery in a position to command the bridge and getting five companies of the Twenty-eighth across the stream. I then intended taking the bridge with the Thirty-sixth Regiment, but soon after my battery opened on the bridge General Sturgis' command crossed the bridge. The brigade also participated in the charge on the enemy.
        I regret to have to report the death of Lieutenant-Colonel Clarke, of the Thirty-sixth Regiment, and Lieutenant-Colonel Coleman, of the Eleventh. These gallant officers fell while gallantly leading their men.
        The following is a list of the killed, wounded, and missing during the engagement, viz: Eleventh Regiment---4 killed, 12 wounded, and 5 missing; Twenty-eighth Regiment--- killed, and 19 wounded; Thirty-sixth Regiment---3 killed and 21 wounded. Total, killed, 8; wounded, 52, and missing, 5.

        I am, sir, very respectful]y, your obedient servant, GEORGE CROOK, Colonel, Commanding Second Brigade, Kanawha Division.

        Still trying to determine any role played by 36th OHIO at the bridge, but
        found two more conflicting statements...

        Dennis Frye's ANTIETAM REVEALED states (on pg 119) that Crook "held the
        largest of his three regiments, 800 men of the 36th Ohio, in reserve."

        THE MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM by Charles S. Adams indicates that their monument's
        text states "This regiment advanced near the bridge over Antietam Creek on
        the morning of September 17, 1862, supporting Sturgis' Division. It participated
        in the charge by which the bridge was captured".

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Tim Reese
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
          Also see map at http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=9 Antietam on the Web.

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
            Based on the OR Report provided by Todd, I am going with the assumption that
            the 36th OHIO remained in reserve during the assault on the bridge. Unless
            someone wishes to re-address this issue, I will consider it closed. I've got a
            few more questions that need your opinions!

            I assume that the maps on Antietam on the Web are using the Carman maps?

            Tom shay

          • Tim Reese
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
              You assume correctly. Barring appearance of a detailed eyewitness 36th Ohio account, you've likely gone as far as anyone can.