Toll House

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
      In a message dated 2/26/05 9:20:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      gerry1952@... writes:
      Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?
      Gerry,

      In Frassanito's Photographic Legacy, on page 85, he refers to a photo on
      opposite page. He states: "The stone building in the left distance [no longer
      standing] may have been a turnpike tollhouse..."

      Compare that photo to the one at the URL below. The photo noted below appears
      to have been taken from opposite direction, so that same stone building is on
      right side of photo.

      http://mdhsimage.mdhs.org/Library/Images/Mellon%20Images/Z24access/z24-00818.j
      pg

    • T.R. Livesey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005

        The image you provide a URL to is the same image as shown in
        Frassanito's book, only it has been cropped and reversed left-to-right.

        I have the stereo version here:
        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/jps/607.html

        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        rotbaron@... wrote:

        >Gerry,
        >
        >In Frassanito's Photographic Legacy, on page 85, he refers to a photo on
        >opposite page. He states: "The stone building in the left distance [no longer
        >standing] may have been a turnpike tollhouse..."
        >
        >Compare that photo to the one at the URL below. The photo noted below appears
        >to have been taken from opposite direction, so that same stone building is on
        >right side of photo.
        >
        >http://mdhsimage.mdhs.org/Library/Images/Mellon%20Images/Z24access/z24-00818.j
        >pg
        >
        >Tom Shay

      • T.R. Livesey
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
          I should also have mentioned that the toll house is shown more clearly
          in this image (not included in Frassanito's book)

          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/jps/610.html

          TRL

          rotbaron@... wrote:

          >In a message dated 2/26/05 9:20:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          >gerry1952@... writes:
          >Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?
          >Gerry,
          >
          >In Frassanito's Photographic Legacy, on page 85, he refers to a photo on
          >opposite page. He states: "The stone building in the left distance [no longer
          >standing] may have been a turnpike tollhouse..."
          >
          >Compare that photo to the one at the URL below. The photo noted below appears
          >to have been taken from opposite direction, so that same stone building is on
          >right side of photo.
          >
          >http://mdhsimage.mdhs.org/Library/Images/Mellon%20Images/Z24access/z24-00818.j
          >pg
          >
          >Tom Shay

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ron Church
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005

            I was not able to get the photo... the topo map came thru fine. Would you
            please cut and paste the photo and send it again ... would very much like to
            see it.

            Thank you
            Regards
            Ron

            > I should also have mentioned that the toll house is shown more clearly
            > in this image (not included in Frassanito's book)
            >
            > http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/jps/610.html
            >
            > TRL
            >
            > rotbaron@... wrote:

            ....... snip .......
          • T.R. Livesey
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
              Ron,

              You need to have Java enabled on your browser to see the stereo image
              properly. I have attached a "Holmes" version of the image.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              Ron Church wrote:

              >Tom,
              >
              >I was not able to get the photo... the topo map came thru fine. Would you
              >please cut and paste the photo and send it again ... would very much like to
              >see it.
              >
              >Thank you
              >Regards
              >Ron

            • T.R. Livesey
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
                Hmmm...looks like yahoo groups clips out attached images. Ok, You can
                view the original raw untouched up source on the LOC:

                http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/ils:@filreq(@field(NUMBER+@band(cwpb+00271))+@field(COLLID+cwp))

                (this link is correct...some mail browsers have a hard time with the
                crazy loc URLs...you may have to copy the whole link directly into your
                web browser address box)

                TRL