Re: [TalkAntietam] Porterstown Road?

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
      Dear Tom,

      Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
        I definitely assumed too much when reading items such as this by Carman: "At
        a point on the road 260 yards below the bridge a farm road--Rohrbach's--runs
        northerly through the ravine separating these two hills from, to the Rohrbach
        farm house, thence to the Porterstown road. "

        I checked the Trailheads Graphics Map, and indeed it has the Porterstown Rd
        labeled as you indicated. Thanks for the info.

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
          In a message dated 2/26/05 9:20:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          gerry1952@... writes:
          Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?
          Gerry,

          I see the toll gate east of the Middle Bridge appears on the McElfresh
          watercolor map. It is labeled STONE TOLL HOUSE. Also on that map, there is one
          northeast of the Nicodemus Farm (along Hagerstown Pike) labeled TOLL HOUSE. Carman
          refers to it, but only in reference to unit positions.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
            Gerry et al,
            I will have to go back and do some homework, the wood frame house across
            the road from the stone one is what is usually referred to as the Toll
            House. It still is there today, although there is an addition on it
            now. I am not sure why Carman says the stone place was the toll house.

            SHAF almnost bought the wooden place a few years ago, but got closed out
            of the deal.
            Tom Clemens

            >>> gerry1952@... 02/26/05 9:19 PM >>>