Re: [TalkAntietam] Porterstown Road?

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
      Neither one is the extension of Porterstown Rd. Porterstown Road runs
      from the Pike just west of the tollgate house, and runs over Red Hill to
      intersect withthe Rohrersville Road near Trego. The road you identify
      led from Porterstown down to the Rohrersville Road, and the eastern
      extension around the house is more-or-less a driveway. The road itself
      was pretty much a farm lane, but intersects further west.
      Tom Clemens

      >>> rotbaron@... 02/26/05 7:51 PM >>>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
        Dear Tom,

        Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
          I definitely assumed too much when reading items such as this by Carman: "At
          a point on the road 260 yards below the bridge a farm road--Rohrbach's--runs
          northerly through the ravine separating these two hills from, to the Rohrbach
          farm house, thence to the Porterstown road. "

          I checked the Trailheads Graphics Map, and indeed it has the Porterstown Rd
          labeled as you indicated. Thanks for the info.

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
            In a message dated 2/26/05 9:20:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            gerry1952@... writes:
            Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?
            Gerry,

            I see the toll gate east of the Middle Bridge appears on the McElfresh
            watercolor map. It is labeled STONE TOLL HOUSE. Also on that map, there is one
            northeast of the Nicodemus Farm (along Hagerstown Pike) labeled TOLL HOUSE. Carman
            refers to it, but only in reference to unit positions.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
              Gerry et al,
              I will have to go back and do some homework, the wood frame house across
              the road from the stone one is what is usually referred to as the Toll
              House. It still is there today, although there is an addition on it
              now. I am not sure why Carman says the stone place was the toll house.

              SHAF almnost bought the wooden place a few years ago, but got closed out
              of the deal.
              Tom Clemens

              >>> gerry1952@... 02/26/05 9:19 PM >>>