Porterstown Road?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
      Yet another question regarding action east of the bridge:

      The road from Porterstown came south to Rohrbach Farm. At the farm, the road
      branches off to right (going around the farm) and then goes down to the
      Rohrersville Rd (at the creek), while another one goes straight ahead from farm to
      the Rohrersville Rd. Which one is a continuation of Porterstown Rd? Was the
      other a mere farm lane?

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
        Neither one is the extension of Porterstown Rd. Porterstown Road runs
        from the Pike just west of the tollgate house, and runs over Red Hill to
        intersect withthe Rohrersville Road near Trego. The road you identify
        led from Porterstown down to the Rohrersville Road, and the eastern
        extension around the house is more-or-less a driveway. The road itself
        was pretty much a farm lane, but intersects further west.
        Tom Clemens

        >>> rotbaron@... 02/26/05 7:51 PM >>>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
          Dear Tom,

          Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
            I definitely assumed too much when reading items such as this by Carman: "At
            a point on the road 260 yards below the bridge a farm road--Rohrbach's--runs
            northerly through the ravine separating these two hills from, to the Rohrbach
            farm house, thence to the Porterstown road. "

            I checked the Trailheads Graphics Map, and indeed it has the Porterstown Rd
            labeled as you indicated. Thanks for the info.

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2005
              In a message dated 2/26/05 9:20:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              gerry1952@... writes:
              Where was the Toll Gate House located and is it still standing today?
              Gerry,

              I see the toll gate east of the Middle Bridge appears on the McElfresh
              watercolor map. It is labeled STONE TOLL HOUSE. Also on that map, there is one
              northeast of the Nicodemus Farm (along Hagerstown Pike) labeled TOLL HOUSE. Carman
              refers to it, but only in reference to unit positions.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
                Gerry et al,
                I will have to go back and do some homework, the wood frame house across
                the road from the stone one is what is usually referred to as the Toll
                House. It still is there today, although there is an addition on it
                now. I am not sure why Carman says the stone place was the toll house.

                SHAF almnost bought the wooden place a few years ago, but got closed out
                of the deal.
                Tom Clemens

                >>> gerry1952@... 02/26/05 9:19 PM >>>