Antietam authors

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2005
      <<Interesting you mention Priest. Priest's work, while valuable in many respects, is also flawed.>>

      Indeed I found that out when trying to piece together the West Woods tour.

      Any assessment of Tucker's book?

      I pulled out the Antietam Monuments book last night (Charles Adams). I had forgotten how much info was in it. Having the text from the monuments and markers is a great help.

      I see Scott Hartwig spoke last night at Gettysburg CWRT. Topic was "MD Campaign and Antietam". Sure would be nice to have that in-progress tactical study of Antietam from him!

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2005
        Tom, By the Antietam Monuments book, do you mean a book with all the text of
        all the battle field markers?

        I have a paperback from Geo R Large and Jos. A Swisher which gives the text
        for all, including missiing, markers put on the field by the War Department.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2005
          I reviewed it for somebody a while back. his facts are generally OK, but there were a few inaccuracies. His tone bothered me more than his details. The whittling down of CS numbers to make the comparison to the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae is facile, and the whole analogy a bit over the top.
          Tom Clemens

          >>> rotbaron@... 2/25/2005 11:21:54 AM >>>

          <<Any assessment of Tucker's book?

          I pulled out the Antietam Monuments book last night (Charles Adams). I had forgotten how much info was in it. Having the text from the monuments and markers is a great help.

          I see Scott Hartwig spoke last night at Gettysburg CWRT. Topic was "MD Campaign and Antietam". Sure would be nice to have that in-progress tactical study of Antietam from him!

          Tom Shay

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          To visit your group on the web, go to: