RE: Wilbur Jones and S.O. 191

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      Morning All,

      The June 21st speaker for the Rufus Barringer CWRT (Pinehurst,
      NC) will
      be Wilbur D. Jones, Jr., author of _ Giants in the Cornfield: The 27th
      Indiana Infantry_ . As most of you know several members of the 27th are
      credited with finding the famous/infamous S.O. 191. Mr. Jones claims he
      can pinpoint the exact spot where the "Lost Order" was found so it
      should be an interesting program. If any of you have any questions
      concerning the events that transpired outside of Frederick, Md. in
      September of 1862 you would like for me to pass along to our speaker
      please feel free to send them to me and I'll see what I can find out.

      Regards,
      Teej
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        Teej,

        I for one would be interested if Mr. Barringer can pinpoint where the 27th
        camped. If memory serves me, the Best Farm is usually credited as being the
        location where the lost order was found? Post your impressions after the
        meeting, ok?

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        > The June 21st speaker for the Rufus Barringer CWRT (Pinehurst,
        > NC) will
        > be Wilbur D. Jones, Jr., author of _ Giants in the Cornfield: The 27th
        > Indiana Infantry_ . As most of you know several members of the 27th are
        > credited with finding the famous/infamous S.O. 191. Mr. Jones claims he
        > can pinpoint the exact spot where the "Lost Order" was found so it
        > should be an interesting program. If any of you have any questions
        > concerning the events that transpired outside of Frederick, Md. in
        > September of 1862 you would like for me to pass along to our speaker
        > please feel free to send them to me and I'll see what I can find out.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Teej

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
          David Lutton wrote:

          > Teej,
          >
          > I for one would be interested if Mr. Barringer can pinpoint where the 27th
          > camped. If memory serves me, the Best Farm is usually credited as being the
          > location where the lost order was found? Post your impressions after the
          > meeting, ok?

          David,

          I'll be happy to. I'm embarrassed to say I was looking at next month's
          page on the calendar when I sent in my original post so Mr. Jones's
          program won't be until July. Guess that's what happens when you try to
          do too many things at one time. :-)

          Regards,
          Teej
          PS: Barringer is the name of the RT, not the speaker's name. Our RT is
          named for B.G. Rufus Barringer, commander of the N.C. 1st Cav.