RE: [TalkAntietam] Burnside Bridge: 11th OH skirmishers?

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005

      I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).

      It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
      well.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
        Harry,

        Interesting you mention Priest. Priest's work, while valuable in many
        respects, is also flawed. I have found instances in his Antietam: A
        Soldiers' Battle where footnotes are not properly ascribed and also some
        other errors.

        Therefore, I think anything Priest writes should be taken with some grains
        of salt.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
        >

        > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
        > well.
        >

        > Harry

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
          I don't disagree. The reason I mentioned Priest was because Tom listed his
          as one of the two works to which he referred.

          There may be similar problems with the other author mentioned as well
          (Tucker).

          Harry

          > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
          >

          > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
          > well.
          >

          > Harry

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ij898v/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1109422797/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
          etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

          :HM/A=2593423/rand=279987745>

          _____