RE: [TalkAntietam] Burnside Bridge: 11th OH skirmishers?

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005

      I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).

      It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
      well.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
        In a message dated 2/24/05 7:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:
        How accurate is his information?
        I found nothing to answer my question in that book (Union Regiments).
        My hometown's 48th PA of Nagle's Brigade is not even listed in the book.

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
          In a message dated 2/24/05 6:46:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          gerry1952@... writes:
          I saw something on
          History Channel about Antietam and the Irish Brigade which seemed to
          indicate it was possibly the 4th NC which tried a flank attack on the left
          flank of the Irish Brigade as it moved up towards the Sunken Road area but
          before the Brigade actually got there.
          I believe I have the program videotaped and will retain for future reference.

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
            In a message dated 2/24/05 5:51:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            wm4oneunion@... writes:
            It was the 11th Connecticut, I believe, not 11th Ohio who initiated the
            attack. I will try to find out the companies involved. They might be on the 11th
            Conn. monument near the bridge.

            Even before the 11 CONN, the 11th OHIO was involved in action. See some of my
            notes below...

            Carman states:

            "Early in the morning, before the general advance had been ordered, two
            companies of the 11th Ohio, were sent forward as skirmishers on the wooded bluff,
            to watch the enemy closely and give notice of any movement made by them. They
            were fired upon as they made their appearance on the west side of the bluff,
            fell back under cover and returned the fire upon the Georgians beyond the creek.
            This was prior to the advance of the 11th Connecticut, and when that advance
            was made, the two companies were on the right of it, and still skirmishing. "

            Also, Tucker notes on page 76:

            "The first Union attack of the day was wisely not ordered forward up the road
            following the east bank below the bridge. Instead, Cox ordered the two
            companies of Connecticut soldi to pour across the fields east and southeast of the
            bridge." etc.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
              Harry,

              Interesting you mention Priest. Priest's work, while valuable in many
              respects, is also flawed. I have found instances in his Antietam: A
              Soldiers' Battle where footnotes are not properly ascribed and also some
              other errors.

              Therefore, I think anything Priest writes should be taken with some grains
              of salt.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
              >

              > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
              > well.
              >

              > Harry

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                I don't disagree. The reason I mentioned Priest was because Tom listed his
                as one of the two works to which he referred.

                There may be similar problems with the other author mentioned as well
                (Tucker).

                Harry

                > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
                >

                > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
                > well.
                >

                > Harry

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ij898v/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1109422797/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                :HM/A=2593423/rand=279987745>

                _____