RE: [TalkAntietam] Burnside Bridge: 11th OH skirmishers?

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005

      Check Schildt to break the tie.

      Harry

      -----Original Message-----
      From: rotbaron@... [mailto:rotbaron@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 1:18 PM
      To: talkantietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Burnside Bridge: 11th OH skirmishers?

      I am trying to put together a "Staff Ride' type document for XI Corps'
      attack at Antietam. This should come in handy now that the ground west of
      the bridge is open for stomping. As questions arise, I will post them here
      to see if anyone can help me.

      QUESTION #1: The 11th Ohio initiated the fighting at the bridge with 2
      companies of skirmishers. What companies were they?

      Tucker's BURNSIDE's BRIDGE book (pg 75) states A & B.

      Priest's book states F & I (on pg 217 and map on pg 219).

      Carman does not mention their letter designations.

      Tom Shay

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u8ohe8/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1109355788/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
      etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

      :HM/A=2593423/rand=505773567>

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
        Dear Harry,

        How accurate is his information?

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005

          I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).

          It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
          well.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
            In a message dated 2/24/05 7:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            gerry1952@... writes:
            How accurate is his information?
            I found nothing to answer my question in that book (Union Regiments).
            My hometown's 48th PA of Nagle's Brigade is not even listed in the book.

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
              In a message dated 2/24/05 6:46:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              gerry1952@... writes:
              I saw something on
              History Channel about Antietam and the Irish Brigade which seemed to
              indicate it was possibly the 4th NC which tried a flank attack on the left
              flank of the Irish Brigade as it moved up towards the Sunken Road area but
              before the Brigade actually got there.
              I believe I have the program videotaped and will retain for future reference.

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
                In a message dated 2/24/05 5:51:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                wm4oneunion@... writes:
                It was the 11th Connecticut, I believe, not 11th Ohio who initiated the
                attack. I will try to find out the companies involved. They might be on the 11th
                Conn. monument near the bridge.

                Even before the 11 CONN, the 11th OHIO was involved in action. See some of my
                notes below...

                Carman states:

                "Early in the morning, before the general advance had been ordered, two
                companies of the 11th Ohio, were sent forward as skirmishers on the wooded bluff,
                to watch the enemy closely and give notice of any movement made by them. They
                were fired upon as they made their appearance on the west side of the bluff,
                fell back under cover and returned the fire upon the Georgians beyond the creek.
                This was prior to the advance of the 11th Connecticut, and when that advance
                was made, the two companies were on the right of it, and still skirmishing. "

                Also, Tucker notes on page 76:

                "The first Union attack of the day was wisely not ordered forward up the road
                following the east bank below the bridge. Instead, Cox ordered the two
                companies of Connecticut soldi to pour across the fields east and southeast of the
                bridge." etc.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                  Harry,

                  Interesting you mention Priest. Priest's work, while valuable in many
                  respects, is also flawed. I have found instances in his Antietam: A
                  Soldiers' Battle where footnotes are not properly ascribed and also some
                  other errors.

                  Therefore, I think anything Priest writes should be taken with some grains
                  of salt.

                  Very respectfully,
                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
                  >

                  > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
                  > well.
                  >

                  > Harry

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                    I don't disagree. The reason I mentioned Priest was because Tom listed his
                    as one of the two works to which he referred.

                    There may be similar problems with the other author mentioned as well
                    (Tucker).

                    Harry

                    > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
                    >

                    > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
                    > well.
                    >

                    > Harry

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ij898v/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1109422797/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                    etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                    :HM/A=2593423/rand=279987745>

                    _____