Re: [TalkAntietam] Burnside Bridge: 11th OH skirmishers?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
      Greetings, Gerry!

      I still have my compiled notes from the West Woods tour that I gave several years ago. Only problem is that it's handwritten. This inspired me to do more such work, but this time I hope I can get it all into one electronic document.

      I most certainly would be interested in re-tackling the Sunken Road next. One of the most frustrating issues (as you know!) is determining the flank positions of the Union regiments as they approached the lane, especially the Irish Brigade!

      Tom Shay
    • William
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
        It was the 11th Connecticut, I believe, not 11th Ohio who iniatated the attack. I will try to find out the companies involved. They might be on the 11th Conn. monument near the bridge.

        Wm.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
          Dear Tom,

          Perhaps this is something we can work on together! Also, I saw something on
          History Channel about Antietam and the Irish Brigade which seemed to
          indicate it was possibly the 4th NC which tried a flank attack on the left
          flank of the Irish Brigade as it moved up towards the Sunken Road area but
          before the Brigade actually got there.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          > I still have my compiled notes from the West Woods tour that I gave
          > several years ago. Only problem is that it's handwritten. This inspired me
          > to do more such work, but this time I hope I can get it all into one
          > electronic document.
          >
          > I most certainly would be interested in re-tackling the Sunken Road next.
          > One of the most frustrating issues (as you know!) is determining the flank
          > positions of the Union regiments as they approached the lane, especially
          > the Irish Brigade!
          >
          > Tom Shay
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005

            Check Schildt to break the tie.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
              Dear Harry,

              How accurate is his information?

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005

                I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).

                It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
                well.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
                  In a message dated 2/24/05 7:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  gerry1952@... writes:
                  How accurate is his information?
                  I found nothing to answer my question in that book (Union Regiments).
                  My hometown's 48th PA of Nagle's Brigade is not even listed in the book.

                • rotbaron@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
                    In a message dated 2/24/05 6:46:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    gerry1952@... writes:
                    I saw something on
                    History Channel about Antietam and the Irish Brigade which seemed to
                    indicate it was possibly the 4th NC which tried a flank attack on the left
                    flank of the Irish Brigade as it moved up towards the Sunken Road area but
                    before the Brigade actually got there.
                    I believe I have the program videotaped and will retain for future reference.

                  • rotbaron@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
                      In a message dated 2/24/05 5:51:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      wm4oneunion@... writes:
                      It was the 11th Connecticut, I believe, not 11th Ohio who initiated the
                      attack. I will try to find out the companies involved. They might be on the 11th
                      Conn. monument near the bridge.

                      Even before the 11 CONN, the 11th OHIO was involved in action. See some of my
                      notes below...

                      Carman states:

                      "Early in the morning, before the general advance had been ordered, two
                      companies of the 11th Ohio, were sent forward as skirmishers on the wooded bluff,
                      to watch the enemy closely and give notice of any movement made by them. They
                      were fired upon as they made their appearance on the west side of the bluff,
                      fell back under cover and returned the fire upon the Georgians beyond the creek.
                      This was prior to the advance of the 11th Connecticut, and when that advance
                      was made, the two companies were on the right of it, and still skirmishing. "

                      Also, Tucker notes on page 76:

                      "The first Union attack of the day was wisely not ordered forward up the road
                      following the east bank below the bridge. Instead, Cox ordered the two
                      companies of Connecticut soldi to pour across the fields east and southeast of the
                      bridge." etc.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                        Harry,

                        Interesting you mention Priest. Priest's work, while valuable in many
                        respects, is also flawed. I have found instances in his Antietam: A
                        Soldiers' Battle where footnotes are not properly ascribed and also some
                        other errors.

                        Therefore, I think anything Priest writes should be taken with some grains
                        of salt.

                        Very respectfully,
                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                        Longstreet's Corps

                        > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
                        >

                        > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
                        > well.
                        >

                        > Harry

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                          I don't disagree. The reason I mentioned Priest was because Tom listed his
                          as one of the two works to which he referred.

                          There may be similar problems with the other author mentioned as well
                          (Tucker).

                          Harry

                          > I don't know, I don't own that book ("9th Corps at Antietam", I think).
                          >

                          > It's probably best to check his sources and those of Tucker and Priest as
                          > well.
                          >

                          > Harry

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ij898v/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                          oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1109422797/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                          etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                          :HM/A=2593423/rand=279987745>

                          _____