Re: [TalkAntietam] Entrance Fee Increase at Antietam Battlefield

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
      Dear Tom,

      Thanks! Good information to know!

      How are your eyes progressing? Are you managing any better? I know you have
      had a tough row to hoe over the last several months.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
        I was actually surprised on my first trip to Antietam that there was a
        charge. I was use to Gettysburg which is free of course. Not a big deal. I'd
        pay $20 to spend a day touring Antietam and do it with a smile on my face .

        Brian

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
          In a message dated 2/18/05 10:08:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          gerry1952@... writes:
          Good information to know! How are your eyes progressing?
          Greetings, Gerry!

          Even with the fee increase, Antietam offers the best return for such a small
          sum! You get to stomp over such hallowed ground, participate in tours and
          other NPS events, etc. When I think of the amount that I spend on gas, food, and
          lodging during trips to Antietam, the entrance fee is a paltrey sum.

          As for my eyes, they have stabilized (I think). The floaters have decreased
          and I await another exam this Spring.

          The best part is that I am back to reading at my normal pace. I'm re-reading
          the Carman manuscript (printed from Sid Meier's CD) and printing maps from the
          Antietam/NIMA CD to enhance my study.

          Several months ago, I had posted the pics about The Ledge (from my September
          trip). I still need to post photos and comments about my stomping around the
          40-acre Cornfield.

          Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

        • Tim Reese
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2005
            True, a bargain by today's standard. But as an American taxpayer you've already paid several times over via the Dept. of the Interior and NPS budgets, not to mention hidden surtaxes built into the system for incremental pay raises de rigeur within the Federal bureaucracy.

            The Antietam hike to $6 brings it on par with Harpers Ferry--with a distinction. You cannot visit HF without using the park shuttle buses. Nowhere to park your car now. One HAS to pay. Antietam gate fees only apply at the VC door. One can still quietly drive the battlefield route free of charge. Tepid enforcement. As a result visitation to HF has markedly dropped and no doubt will continue to do so, especially with its re-aligned interpretation emphasis. Locals don't go there anymore, though we know sneaky but inconvenient ways in. Should Antietam officials ever embark on route fee enforcement, they too will experience a decline. That's the way it is. No one likes paying twice, or thrice.

            A few years back Gettysburg contemplated closing off its park route and charging fees for bus transport, a concept which went over like salt pork at a Jewish wedding. One can't blame the NPS for searching for alternative income sources to offset gross budgetary shortfalls in a time of greater demand. Direct consumer gouging is an unpopular recourse. Only folks from way out of town will swallow hard and rationalize just to get in. We locals know better.

            I would suggest, as I often have in the past, that all should encourage their elected officials to substantially increase the NPS budget. But as a former career Federal worker I would spare you the agony of learning how the bucks are clandestinely sidetracked via their multiple trickle-down itinerary.