Re: [TalkAntietam] Lincoln's Travels

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
      Dear Tim,

      Welcome Back Aboard. I hear good things about your new book
      about Antietam and agree with many of your conclusions, as
      summarized recently by Ted Alexander in either CW Times
      Illustrated or America's Civil War magazines.

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee
    • Tim Reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
        Hey, Gerry. You survived the holidays! Seems everyone I know was sick with colds and what not, myself included. Bother. Sniff.

        Many thanks for the kind words. Though generally laudatory of the book, Ted was diplomat enough to avoid treading on sensitive, entrenched orthodoxy which will require time to evaporate in the light of day. Can't say as I blame him. But the road to Antietam is now fairly open for business. We'll see who puts out a thumb.

        Ego urges me to take credit for HWM insights, but fact is Lee and McClellan leave precious little to doubt. When I started listening more closely to what they said and did I felt like a dunce for not "getting" it sooner. Only took me forty years! Must be getting old.

        That's it for me writing wise. I've returned to my artwork. A picture is worth a thousand words, to coin a phrase.

        All the best for '05.

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
          Actually I already checked Herbert -- nothing there. Brian's is a very
          astute observation. Hooker had several meetings with Salmon Chase while
          recouperating in Washington -- meetings that paid off grandly for him -- not
          so grandly for the AoP at Chancellorsville however.