Lincoln's Travels

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
      Hello group...new to this room.

      Two question to pose....

      I live on Main Street in Middletown. I am currently compiling
      information to determine whether I have enough material to write a
      book on Middletown and the Civil War....from 1859...through the three
      campaigns...through the reinterrment of the dead.....to veterans
      travels and local vets....to 20th century commemoration. Not sure
      there is enough to make it worthwhile...but I am digging. It would
      NOT be a history of the Battle of South Mountain...although obviously
      the battle's impact on the town would be a noticable part of whatever
      I do.

      Question 1:
      One piece of information I desire and cannot find is whether
      Lincoln's route from Antietam back to Frederick and DC took him
      through Middletown. I know he went there via Harpers Ferry...and on
      the way back stopped in Burkittsville....but how did he get back to
      Frederick from Burkittsville? I saw in writing somewhere that
      McClellan "accompanied the President as far as Middletown" but that
      is pretty vague. Is the precise route known?

      Question 2:
      Local rumor has it that Hooker convalesced in the large brick
      dwelling one door east of Gladhill's Furniture on West Main Street
      after Antietam. The information I have been able to find about
      Fightin Joe after the battle suggests otherwise.

      Also, if anybody has any good stuff about Middletown that they are
      willing to share with me, that would be much appreciated. My Email
      is bockmiller at adelphia dot net.

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
        You've come to the right site -- There are some wonderful historians in the
        room. I did some pretty serious research and don't recall any mention of
        Hooker going anywhere between the Pry House and Washington.
        > I live on Main Street in Middletown. I am currently compiling
        > information to determine whether I have enough material to write a
        > book on Middletown and the Civil War....from 1859...through the three
        > campaigns...through the reinterrment of the dead.....to veterans
        > travels and local vets....to 20th century commemoration. Not sure
        > there is enough to make it worthwhile...but I am digging. It would
        > NOT be a history of the Battle of South Mountain...although obviously
        > the battle's impact on the town would be a noticable part of whatever
        > I do.
        >
        > Question 1:
        > One piece of information I desire and cannot find is whether
        > Lincoln's route from Antietam back to Frederick and DC took him
        > through Middletown. I know he went there via Harpers Ferry...and on
        > the way back stopped in Burkittsville....but how did he get back to
        > Frederick from Burkittsville? I saw in writing somewhere that
        > McClellan "accompanied the President as far as Middletown" but that
        > is pretty vague. Is the precise route known?
        >
        > Question 2:
        > Local rumor has it that Hooker convalesced in the large brick
        > dwelling one door east of Gladhill's Furniture on West Main Street
        > after Antietam. The information I have been able to find about
        > Fightin Joe after the battle suggests otherwise.
        >
        > Also, if anybody has any good stuff about Middletown that they are
        > willing to share with me, that would be much appreciated. My Email
        > is bockmiller at adelphia dot net.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Steve Bockmiller
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
          Hooker was very much the self promoter. His wounding reminds me of Sickles
          after Gettysburg. He would have wasted no time in getting to Washington to
          make the most of it. While he might have been taken to Middletown after the
          battle, he would have stayed there only one night I expect.

          You might try Walter Herbert's book "Fighting Joe Hooker" and see if it
          makes any mention of Hooker going to Middletown after the battle and if so
          what it says for it's source on the matter.

          Brian

          > You've come to the right site -- There are some wonderful historians in
          the
          > room. I did some pretty serious research and don't recall any mention of
          > Hooker going anywhere between the Pry House and Washington.

        • Tim Reese
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
            Welcome aboard, Steve. Fasten your seat belt.

            You have your work cut out for you regarding a wartime Middletown narrative. I don't envy you; slim pickin's.

            Question 1: Lincoln never set foot in Burkittsville, this propounded by a bogus letter allegedly found here in town circa 1975. Assiduous detective work spanning many years ultimately revealed that the "Prather letter"--which claims both Lee and Lincoln visited town in late summer, 1862--was in fact created by a local clergyman cum history buff (now deceased). He cobbled together a rather poorly executed facsimile based on info provided by a descendant of a Confederate soldier mortally wounded at Crampton's Gap, he having visited town to locate the church where his ancestor likely expired. The clergyman pumped him for details, then a year later the "letter" miraculously appeared, reassigning the soldier from Georgia infantry to Virginia cavalry. What a tangled web we weave.

            Lincoln is in fact recorded as having taken a light lunch in Brownsville (Pleasant Valley) after reviewing Union troops in the vicinity of Maryland Heights before moving on to Sharpsburg via what I have labeled "Rohrersville Pass" through Elk Ridge to the Ninth Corps sector near Burnside's infamous bridge. There is no record of his having crossed South Mountain to Burkittsville which would have taken him well out of his recorded way and taken considerable time to cross and re-cross SM.

            When he reached Bakersville north of Sharpsburg to review the encamped Sixth Corps Lincoln spoke with Franklin, expressing admiration for what Franklin's troops accomplished at CG after seeing it for himself, but said nothing about viewing the gap from F's eastern perspective, this recorded in "Battles & Leaders" 2:596n.

            Unfortunately the "letter" developed a life of its own, many falling victim to its purported authenticity. Among them was John Shildt, author of "Four Days in October" which lays out, as near as can be, Lincoln's itinerary while visiting McClellan and the AoP. John's book is still the most cogent analysis of Lincoln's movements even though he fell prey to the "letter." Lay hands on a copy if you can. John only took his research just so far. The subject bears further trench work. John was deeply downcast when I explained the ruse to him on the phone. He knew the clergyman personally, John being a clergyman himself.

            Lincoln's route has conspicuous gaps, but his return trip to Washington is beyond question. He was conveyed to Frederick by carriage on the National Pike via Boonsboro, Turner's Gap, Middletown, and Braddock's Gap much the way we would reach Frederick today. It's anyone's guess whether or not he stopped in Middletown, but logic dictates a fair likelihood that a brief halt may have been called to rest and water the horses after traversing SM, a stiff climb for any nag.

            Question 2: I think the operative word here is "rumor." I've never found a single scrap of information indicating Hooker abided in Middletown to convalesce. R.B. Hayes yes; Hooker no. Probably confusion here. I concur with Brian. Hooker undoubtedly would have fleetly returned to civilization to make the most of his condition. After all, he was only shot in the foot. I need not remind you that the Catoctin Valley is thickly planted, as if by weeds, with old wives' tales about famed personalities. As always, the burden of proof lies with those who serve up this stuff. I for one am not buying.

            If I come across anything of value concerning "Muddletown" I'll pass it along. More power to you. Burkittsville has identical folklore headaches aplenty.

            Tim

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
              Dear Tim,

              Welcome Back Aboard. I hear good things about your new book
              about Antietam and agree with many of your conclusions, as
              summarized recently by Ted Alexander in either CW Times
              Illustrated or America's Civil War magazines.

              I remain,
              Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
              G. E. "Gerry" Mayers

              "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
              else we shall grow too fond of it."
              --Robert E. Lee
            • Tim Reese
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
                Hey, Gerry. You survived the holidays! Seems everyone I know was sick with colds and what not, myself included. Bother. Sniff.

                Many thanks for the kind words. Though generally laudatory of the book, Ted was diplomat enough to avoid treading on sensitive, entrenched orthodoxy which will require time to evaporate in the light of day. Can't say as I blame him. But the road to Antietam is now fairly open for business. We'll see who puts out a thumb.

                Ego urges me to take credit for HWM insights, but fact is Lee and McClellan leave precious little to doubt. When I started listening more closely to what they said and did I felt like a dunce for not "getting" it sooner. Only took me forty years! Must be getting old.

                That's it for me writing wise. I've returned to my artwork. A picture is worth a thousand words, to coin a phrase.

                All the best for '05.

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
                  Actually I already checked Herbert -- nothing there. Brian's is a very
                  astute observation. Hooker had several meetings with Salmon Chase while
                  recouperating in Washington -- meetings that paid off grandly for him -- not
                  so grandly for the AoP at Chancellorsville however.