Re: BATTLEFIELD ROADS MIGHT BE REPAVED

  • darinb20855
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2004
      This is a little surprising to read. I made many visits nearly all parts of the park in
      April-July 2004 making photographs for a book/art project. I was there three or four
      times a week and drove all (I think) of the roads and walked along many of them.
      They seemed in good shape to me.

      --Darin Boville
      www.darinboville.com

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
      > From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail....
      >
      > BATTLEFIELD ROADS MIGHT BE REPAVED
      >
      > Antietam National Battlefield's tour roads could be repaved for the first time in 30
      years if the estimated $3.7 million project remains on track, Superintendent John
      Howard said Tuesday.

      > The preliminary cost estimate for the project includes engineering, drainage work,
      curbs, replacing wooden guardrails that don't meet federal safety standards and
      repaving 10 miles of roads and 14 parking areas, Howard said.

      > The work could start as early as spring 2007, Howard said. An engineering study
      will be conducted to decide what drainage work is needed so the cost can better be
      determined, Howard said.

      > Drivers in the area might have seen paint and fabric markers around local roads
      because aerial photographs are going to be taken to help with the engineering study,
      Howard said. There are no plans to expand battlefield boundaries, Howard said.

      > At Monday night's Sharpsburg mayor and Town Council meeting, some town
      officials mentioned residents were concerned the markings might have something to
      do with plans to expand the park boundaries. At least one council member, Russ
      Weaver, said he wasn't sure why the battlefield roads needed repaving because they
      appeared to be in good shape.

      > Howard said some of the roads are not in bad shape, but some are falling apart.
      Parts of the road near Burnside Bridge are slipping off the hill, Howard said. One of
      the battlefield's big problems is drainage, Howard said. A moderate rain can result in
      large puddles on the roads, which can crack asphalt after a freeze and thaw, he said.

      > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
      > (sorry to have been offline for weeks, but my torn retina has still been causing me
      trouble).